Tuna Mayhem

Phar Cue

Heard rumours the Southern Blue Fin were on at Bermi last week so made a quick and risky decision to drive down to what all the fuss was about.

Trolled from shelf to continental drop off for about 4 hours and didn't turn a reel. Then came back in close the the shelf. Not one run! Was about to pack it in when I thought stuff it lets cube. Not a boat in site but heard boats were hooked up north of us.

20 minutes into the cube the 24kg goes off and we are AWAY! 10 minutes an we deck a 45kg specimen. My mate lobs a pillie out and he is away. 35 kg fish. I grab the Saltist and lob out a big popper and 2 winds on the reel and i'm away. Another 35kg fish. Mate hooks another about 30kg which we release. There are barrell size tuna all around the boat. Every cube that went in would go down 2-3 meters and bang fish would hammer it. Had the fish around the boat for over an hour and no other boat in sight.

Got 2 more 35kg fish on poppers. You have never seen anything until you see these fish hit the poppers with a massive explosion! Next fish on popper and the grip handle on the Saltist pops off. Screw loosened. Everytime I loaded up the grip would pop off. Any way after a struggle we managed to land and release the fish.

We scored 3 or 4 on poppers landed/released, dropped a couple more from tackle failure and caught about another 8 or 9 on pillie. Kept four and released the others. Biggest went 45kg smallest 28kg.

Probably the best fishing I have ever had.

post-767-088359000 1309739202_thumb.jpg

post-767-075657400 1309739229_thumb.jpg

post-767-069316300 1309739243_thumb.jpg

post-767-054350800 1309739267_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phar Cue

Yeah baby!

It was crazy and glad a few others got into them to. It's hard to belive till you see it ya self.

We musta gone close to 50 if not more between 3 in 4.5hrs.

Poppers definatly the most exciting way to catch em!

Greg

Awsome,

That's something that I dream about, just wish I did not spew my guts up once outside the heads!!!!

Will have to try offshore fishing again and try get my sea-legs cause I am missing out thats for sure,

Regards,

Nathan

Awsome,

That's something that I dream about, just wish I did not spew my guts up once outside the heads!!!!

Will have to try offshore fishing again and try get my sea-legs cause I am missing out thats for sure,

Regards,

Nathan

Get some ET pills from the Chemist in Caringbah. They work a treat and have cured my sea sickness. My kids joke "can we have one dad even if we don't go fishing!"

In regards to the SBT - bloody awesome. We are heading down there this weekend to hopefully get amongst them.

Bruce.

Edited by Crusher

Heard rumours the Southern Blue Fin were on at Bermi last week so made a quick and risky decision to drive down to what all the fuss was about.

Trolled from shelf to continental drop off for about 4 hours and didn't turn a reel. Then came back in close the the shelf. Not one run! Was about to pack it in when I thought stuff it lets cube. Not a boat in site but heard boats were hooked up north of us.

20 minutes into the cube the 24kg goes off and we are AWAY! 10 minutes an we deck a 45kg specimen. My mate lobs a pillie out and he is away. 35 kg fish. I grab the Saltist and lob out a big popper and 2 winds on the reel and i'm away. Another 35kg fish. Mate hooks another about 30kg which we release. There are barrell size tuna all around the boat. Every cube that went in would go down 2-3 meters and bang fish would hammer it. Had the fish around the boat for over an hour and no other boat in sight.

Got 2 more 35kg fish on poppers. You have never seen anything until you see these fish hit the poppers with a massive explosion! Next fish on popper and the grip handle on the Saltist pops off. Screw loosened. Everytime I loaded up the grip would pop off. Any way after a struggle we managed to land and release the fish.

We scored 3 or 4 on poppers landed/released, dropped a couple more from tackle failure and caught about another 8 or 9 on pillie. Kept four and released the others. Biggest went 45kg smallest 28kg.

Probably the best fishing I have ever had.

Nice work - mega jealous!! Hope to get out ourselves and experience that kind of fishing!!

ps- love the boat name

Awesome Phar Cue.

wondering if i may ask if it is ok,

how would you say the SBT'S you caught fought in comparison to YFT of equal or similar size?

just wondering to if it is ok me asking,

what popper is that you got the Bluefin on?

I am sure the strike would of been quite a cool thing to see

Great effort driving down to give it ago, i was talking to you guys in the car park outside of tackle shop as you guys were getting ready to go out. did you head straight out or go further south ?

regards Shepster

No comparison. SBT have a great first run or 2 then bog down and give up. The 45kg fish came in just under 10 minutes. YFT on the otherhand are a real handfull. A 50kg YFT we got last season took an hour.

And popper was a typical GT popper about 10inces long, cant remember the brand.

Awesome Phar Cue.

wondering if i may ask if it is ok,

how would you say the SBT'S you caught fought in comparison to YFT of equal or similar size?

just wondering to if it is ok me asking,

what popper is that you got the Bluefin on?

I am sure the strike would of been quite a cool thing to see

Shepster

We headed SW then north and ended up being due east of Bermi between the shelf slope and drop off, probably 23NM out. I think we were the closest in who got fish.

Great effort driving down to give it ago, i was talking to you guys in the car park outside of tackle shop as you guys were getting ready to go out. did you head straight out or go further south ?

regards Shepster