I FINALLY GOT MY FIRST KINGY!

sydneyelvis

After years of trying to catch my first kingfish, the fishing gods smiled down on me yesterday.

I went out into the Georges River in search of bream so I was fishing light.

Went to a spot I hade never been to and proceeded to fall asleep as nothing was happenning. Not a touch.

Even the wind couldn't move the rod tip!!!

Then out of nowhere... BOOOM!!! the reel screams for what seemed an eternity. "Nice bream" i think.

I set the hook and for 10 minutes coaxed this damn fish to the boat 3 times and every time he got close, he would strip off more line again. "might be a jewie" my mind says.

Finally I get him to the boat. The missus nets him. A beautiful FAT kingy!!!

He was only 55cm so he was sent back.

Of course with all the excitement no photo was taken!!! (bloody idiot!)

I am no longer a Kingy virgin and i feel liberated.

BTW he was caught on 6 pound line, small running sinker and a prawn... GO FIGURE!

After years of trying to catch my first kingfish, the fishing gods smiled down on me yesterday.

Went to a spot I hade never been to and proceeded to fall asleep as nothing was happenning. Not a touch.

Then out of nowhere... BOOOM!!! the reel screams for what seemed an eternity. "Nice bream" i think.

I set the hook and for 10 minutes coaxed this damn fish to the boat 3 times and every time he got close, he would strip off more line again. "might be a jewie" my mind says.

BTW he was caught on 6 pound line, small running sinker and a prawn... GO FIGURE!

Mate, where abouts on Georges were you?

Well done mate.

Any chance of the fish being Amberjack by the way?

They look quite a like, but Amberjack is usually much fattier than Kingfish.

My mate mistakenly released a fat Amberjack thinking it was a undersized Kingfish.

Just a thought. Cheers,

Well done mate.

Any chance of the fish being Amberjack by the way?

They look quite a like, but Amberjack is usually much fattier than Kingfish.

My mate mistakenly released a fat Amberjack thinking it was a undersized Kingfish.

Just a thought. Cheers,

man you are killing me!!!

it was a kingfish... lol

Congratulations on your first kingfish , bet you weren't relaxing after that :thumbup::thumbup:

Keep up the good work :1fishing1:

chris

man you are killing me!!!

it was a kingfish... lol

Sorry I didn't mean to hurt you mate!

I am sure that it was your first King.

Having said that Amberjack is as good fish as Kingfish And it is more rare catch here, so you will be as happy as you are now if you catch one in the future!

Edited by Siesta911

Mate good work on the kingy. I was lucky enough to get my first kingy on film... well most of the fight at least... It's on Youtube... do a search for jetlee1981.... I know how pumped you were, but i reckon my best mate was probably more excited than the both of us.

P.s don't watch the clip if there's kids around, the language is a bit ordinary.