Good day at Balmoral! 4/7/11

rjc123

Hey raiders,

fished Balmoral today and this tiem had some success. Tried for yakkas first up and they would not bite but then out of no where BANG! I was in trouble on 6lb mono but managed to land him. A nice 31cm trevally! Descent start! Continued chasing yakkas but the small bream came on and the biggest i managed was 23cm. Having gotten bored with them i whacked a couple of rods out. One with a prawn and the other with a strip of slimie mackerel. Only a crab and octopus to show for my efforts in the first hour. Decided to check my prawn bait and there was some weight! All of a sudden it started fighting and took a blistering run! Thinking salmon i quickly loosened the drag as i was only on 8lb. After 5 minutes a beatiful flattie appears. I thought to myself, lets not have a repeat of last tiem when he got away. Managed to get him up onto the lower platform which was about 20cm from the water. Stoked as i ran down to retreive him. He measured 52cm and was my first flattie in a couple of months and in Winter too! Of course this was the day that i forgot the camera! Heading up to Darwin in a few days so thought i may as well let him go because ill have enough fish up there! Great to see him swimming away back to the depths! It all went quiet for a while until another fisherman nearby caught Big squid and offered it to me! Who would say no to a big Calamari! Kept going for a while and suddenly a big run on my prawn rod. After a couple of minutes on 8lb braid up comes a nice trevally. He was slightly bigger than the last at 32cm! Left soon after as it was getting a bit gloomy but of course as soon as i leave the sun comes back out! A lovely day with a few fish too! Cursing that i forgot the camera though!

Darwin is awesome. Been there three times now. You will have a mad time. Take your camera though, I want to see the pics in your report from there. Well done at balmoral with no yakkas. Cheers Andrew.

Hey mate, i was out today at Narrabeen lake from about 10-2 for a leatherjacket and small bream. Was a pretty quiet day on the lake. We decided to head up to Balmoral when the rain came. I got am undersized flounder first up (23cm) and then a blue swimmer crab and we managed a mix bag of trevally with one keeper. A lot of new species for me, so i was pretty chuffed.

Looks like you had an eventful day too

Hey raiders,

fished Balmoral today and this tiem had some success. Tried for yakkas first up and they would not bite but then out of no where BANG! I was in trouble on 6lb mono but managed to land him. A nice 31cm trevally! Descent start! Continued chasing yakkas but the small bream came on and the biggest i managed was 23cm. Having gotten bored with them i whacked a couple of rods out. One with a prawn and the other with a strip of slimie mackerel. Only a crab and octopus to show for my efforts in the first hour. Decided to check my prawn bait and there was some weight! All of a sudden it started fighting and took a blistering run! Thinking salmon i quickly loosened the drag as i was only on 8lb. After 5 minutes a beatiful flattie appears. I thought to myself, lets not have a repeat of last tiem when he got away. Managed to get him up onto the lower platform which was about 20cm from the water. Stoked as i ran down to retreive him. He measured 52cm and was my first flattie in a couple of months and in Winter too! Of course this was the day that i forgot the camera! Heading up to Darwin in a few days so thought i may as well let him go because ill have enough fish up there! Great to see him swimming away back to the depths! It all went quiet for a while until another fisherman nearby caught Big squid and offered it to me! Who would say no to a big Calamari! Kept going for a while and suddenly a big run on my prawn rod. After a couple of minutes on 8lb braid up comes a nice trevally. He was slightly bigger than the last at 32cm! Left soon after as it was getting a bit gloomy but of course as soon as i leave the sun comes back out! A lovely day with a few fish too! Cursing that i forgot the camera though!

Awesome report mack attack, mate you gotta show me the ropes around balmoral dont think ive fished there.

Seems the crabs are still about i thought they would have gone out to sea by now.

Awesome report mack attack, mate you gotta show me the ropes around balmoral dont think ive fished there.

Seems the crabs are still about i thought they would have gone out to sea by now.

Actually caught 2 on prawn baits that were lucky enough to fall off when being lifted out of the water! They are everywhere!