Darwin Adventure!

rjc123

Hey raiders,

just returned from a week up in Darwin! The fishing was quite slow but it was definitely something new. Here is a report of my fishy adventures!

Session 1:

The day after we arrived we were booked in for an extended day fishing charter but it was changed to a full day as there were not enough people! Headed out nice and early and were fishing a few hours later by 8:15. First reef there were Blue line Emperor, Stripeys, Spangled Emperor and Baby cod caught. A few of the spangleys and emperors were bordering on legal but were returned to the water. Next few reefs the same thing with still no keepers. After 3 hours of fishing i pulled in a blue Salmon! WHAT! A blue salmon 30nm offshore. Bit far away from home! :074: . Anyway, He was dinner as they are beautiful eating! Hept fishing with still no more luck apart from the little pickers being caught occasionally! We had an hour of fishing left and the skipper called for a move to a jewie spot. After half an hour the decky was holding a rod while someone went to the toilet and all of a sudden, BANG! This was a big fish and unfortunately i was too slow to claim the rod and reel in the jewie! The guy that did fought the fish very well and took him 5 minutes but then the 12kg jewie hit the deck. He was nice enough to share the fish with everyone and let me tell you, it was very tasty! The jewie carcass was attatched to a rope and chucked out the back and a 3.5 meter tiger shark came to play! Got some good pics of him! The crew aboard Wai Adi ( our fishing boat ) said that it as the slowest fishing day they have had in years! Just my luck i guess! Had a good feed of blue salmon and jewfish that night and slept like a baby!

Session 2:

A couple of days later we booked in for a fishing day tour to Corroboree Billabong! I was very excited and was inching to beat my barra PB! After an early morning and a 1 and a half hour drive we arrived at a beautiful place. Jumped in the boat and took off for a bit of trolling. In the first troll there were 3 big hits but no hook ups. On the 3rd troll bang! My Baitcaster was screaming out line and a nice sized barra took for the air about 60m from the boat! After a 5 minute battle i landed my PB barra! He was no monster at 60cm but a nice fish! 10 minutes later i beat my PB again with another solid hookup and landed a lovely 61cm fish! In the next hour there were 2 smaller Barra around 40cm landed, A saratoga and some little fish that was the size of my lure! Very ambitious fish! :074: For the rest of the day i only managed a Tarpon and there a couple of other tarpon landed by others! Beautiful place corroborre and the scenery made up for the slowish fishing!

Session 3:Still inching to get my Jewie i managed to squeaze in for a half day charter in the harbour chasing jewies and golden snapper! Started off well with a 40cm goldie coming up! Then.... it all slowed down! I caught stripeys for the next few hours and a little grunter! There were 4 jewies caught on the charter and of course the newbies that don't know the significance of this fish landed them! The biggest went 64cm.

Other fish landed on the charter were Blue line emperor, Tricky snapper, Goldies, Spangleys, Small Crimson Snapper and that was it!

The fishing was very slow for darwin standards but it beats staying at home! i didnt get many pictures of the fish and the ones that i did get were not great quality! Got some good ones from corroboree though!

Tom

Edited by mack attack 79

I went on that boat in Darwin a couple of years back, i wasnt impressed with the

fishing either, but hey thats fishing for you. However I expected when a school

of tuna started jumping out of the water nearby that the skipper would move the boat

to where the fish were, this was not the case, all paying fishos on board wanted to

get into the tuna and the skipper refused to move the boat. "We dont chase busting up fish"

we were told and that was it we just watched the tuna and hoped they would come within

casting range, they didnt :(

cheers

can anyone help uploading or tell me how to do it. I usually only have 1 or 2 pics but i have about 10 this time.

I will sort your pics mate, check your PM,s for my details...

I'm off to Darwin in early December on the local Neap tides for a 3 night live on board with a different company - the same one where I caught my PB spanish mackerel in my profile pic. I did the same trip (albeit 2 night) in July last year (hence the spaniard) and had an incredible time, even though we were at the end of the season. Really looking forward to it again, this time with my 15 year old son and my uncle in tow. One guy on the boat got a huge sailfish last trip, hoping to repeat the dosage with some liberal catches of Red Emperor, Black Jewfish, and Golden Trevally thrown in as well this time around.

Great fishing, great food, greta pics, great time. Would recommend to any fisho (or I wouldn't be heading back there myself).