Hairtailing at Waratah Bay

sadamson

Yesterday afternoon Stewy and i headed up to Waratah Bay to try and catch me my first hairtail.We went in my boat this trip as it has a bit of cover to escape the bitter winter night air.Conditions were great got into our position about 3.30 and started the berly going. As night fell we were surprised how mild it was.Through out the night we had our chances but could not land a fish.Stewy and I had several hook ups but the fish were to smart for us, Stewy lost one at the side of the boat as he was about to lift it in. :ranting2: Not a happy fisherman.I got a small Jewie about 30cm long on a pillie head.The water was alive with yellowtail thousands of them maybe the hairtail are to well feed.We pulled the pin about 11.30PM Its was so mild we did not put our jackets on. motored back to the ramp and while pulling the boat out of the water with 20cm on go the winch cable snapped.Luckly i noticed their was a problem in the way it was coming up and i slipped the safety chain on before adjusting the winch and then it snapped.Dont fancy swimming after the boat at midnight in 12degree water.No fish to report but as always a great time hit the pillow about 2.00am..Cheers Stephen (Reggie the Rabbit).

Top night out Stephen,

Pity we couldnt get one of em into the boat :ranting2: I had several on but for some reason the hooks didnt stay connected.

There will be a next time for sure Stephen :thumbup:

Cheers Stewy

Hi Stewy,

A small treble or keeper hook suspended below your ganged hooks. By the time the hairtailer has the pilchard in his mouth, the treble is down his throat. No good for release fishing though.

Good luck for next time.

Gabe

I forgot to add that Stephen ...(CHEF EXTRAORDINAIRE) knocked us up a great lamb casserole around 8pm and it was absolutely scrumptious :yahoo:

Stephen always has great food on hand on all our trips and its something that makes a trip that much more enjoyable.

p.s I hope you got the winch cable fixed ok mate.

Cheers Stewy

I watched with trepidation the last time I landed my boat as the seatbelt-type material on my winch slowly split as the boat crept up the trailer! Another turn or two and it was gone. Needless to say I've replaced it with decent winch rope now.

JB returned nothing for us last Friday night.

On the same night good reports were had of Waratah bay.

Only issue is there were so many boats you could walk across them!

Won't get out this weekend, but interested to hear reports.

Good luck!

cheers

Paul

P.S. We launch at apple tree.

Edited by tasksta

just got back from an allniter at Waratah

Targeted Hairtail and well succeeded sort of

My son landed 2 approx 1mt or so

i lost one on his rod after he crashed out

my mate lost one as well

so im yet to get a hairy but my son wins with 2 fish no losses

got both fish about 2 hrs before high tide