Trailer wheel noise

The Incredible Hull

Hi Raiders,

I was moving my boat out of the garage earlier in preparation for tomorrow.

I heard an unusual squealing noise each time I moved it.

I jacked up each side and the noise is only occurring on 1 wheel.

The noise is hard to describe, but it sounds like rubber rubbing onto plastic - squealing type noise.

It goes away as it is spinning. But as you begin to spin it and when it almost stops you get the squeal noise.

I had both of my bearings professional changed, completely re-greased and had bearing buddies fitted - this was done by a marine dealer. I popped off the plastic cap on the squealing side, squeezed in more grease with the gun and grease does come out of the little hole on the side of the bearing buddy, so I think its full?

I'm a little concerned about this noise as it wasn't there before the service. Having said that, it may have been there when I picked up the boat from the dealership and didn't notice. I park my boat under my carport through the drive in garage, so it is outside - and I haven't touched it for 2 weeks.

Has anyone ever experienced such a thing, or give me some indication of what it is to calm my worries.

Any info will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advanced.

Cheers,

David.

sounds like the seal is dry,,,, jack it up and spray wd40 into the inner side of the seal, try to lift the seal up a bit as you do it (on the inside) ,,,,if the noise goes away then i suggest you get a small screw driver and lift the seal lip up and place some grease under it

Thanks for the prompt replies guys.

After much mucking about, in the end... there was not enough grease on that particular bearing. *sigh*

I plugged in the grease gun on the bearing nipple until it clicked once, pushed with all of my might and started to pump in the grease. Unlike the earlier attempt, I was not seeing any grease come out of the little hole... I pulled out the grease gun to check if it was working (if I still have grease in there) and it is fine... I plug it back on and keep pumping the lever. Eventually, grease comes out of the hole... I jack up the trailer again and spin the wheel, zero noise! What a sigh of relief.

Couple of things to this...

1. on the side I had the problem with, it seems I need to push hard into it when pumping grease in. I don't need to do this on the other side, no force necessary. Any ideas on why that is or could be?

2. Once grease is pumped inside, and the plastic cap is placed over the buddy, is there much chance of the grease escaping? I was under the impression that the grease would not escape - and that I would rarely need to pump grease into it. Is this correct? Which leads to point 3.

3. If point 3 is... somewhat correct, that means the marine dealer did not completely fill up that side with grease?

I am so relieved that is over and done with.

Thanks again guys.

every time you go to the ramp feel the housing if it's hot you have a problem it should be warm but not hot this is a good check to do as soon as you arive at the ramp and when you get home a bit like checking the bungs are in it only takes five second but can save a heap off hassel cheers gary

Awesome cheers for the advice guys. Few more things to add to my checklist :biggrin2:

I did take the boat out this morning to hawkesbury. (used pillies, mullet fillet, live mullet - nothing! except 1 eel and 5 eel tailed catfish, clearly threw them back!)

Everything seems to be ok, with 1 mishap - the plastic cap on 1 side of the buddy bearing came off! When I got home, had a little grease spray around the tyre. Anyone know where I can get one of these caps from?

I plan to bring it back to the marine dealer who serviced it - make a little complaint as it did/still cause me grief.

All I want is a once over, make sure everything is ok before I take it out next. I mean, everything was dandy before I had the service done.

Thanks again for responses Raiders :thumbup: