summer is coming

ifonly

Hey guys

I kind of missed out on all the pelagic surface action last year caught loads of tailor on metals but thats about it i tried for kings, bonitos, mac tuna etc but couldnt seem to get it right ive since learnt speed with metals will tempt the bonito the mac tuna and frigates are very shy of line and leader and go white metals rather than chrome. in the smallest size youve got and kings like plastics. So i wasnt catching bonito or mac tuna because i had chrome lures that were probably to big and i was winding to slow.

Only one thing i dont get is what plastics for kings i have been suggested about a 5 to 9 inch plastic rigged with a worm hook? (i dont think i want a 9 inch plastic becaue im not sure if the fish in the system are big enough to be tempted by such a large plastic but please correct me if im wrong) So can anyone give me a plastic or colour of plastic to try out when its the right time of year again or one they have had success with in the past.

any help much appreciated

thanks guys

Edited by newbie15

The Squidgy Slick rigs are good mate. Not sure how big they make them but just find a colour of them that suits the bait and food they eat ( yakkas, slimies, pilchard, squid ) They have loads of colours even the specific baits you need. They have Slimey colour, Yakka colour and pilchard colour. Give em a go! Try 6 inch i think!

Edited by mack attack 79

Hey mate, I have never had any trouble with chrome lures but perhaps you are using too large of a lure. Try the 5g and 10g metals and wind them in fast and you should get most of the pelagics you mention... With Kingys your not wrong with the 6in and 9in plastics. These are not too big for harbour kings at all. Hit the markers and reefs with them or cast at schools if you see them bust up. I have not heard of people catching kings on slick rigs but could give them a go, usually the stick baits are used for kings ie sluggos, squidgy flick baits, jerk shads etc...

Go big mate! There are lots of rats but if you look hard enough there are some very solid fish to be had. The Rats won't have any problem with taking a 9" plastic, but you might also find that the bigger baits weed out some of the bigger fish for you.

Mate its all about 'match the hatch'.

You need to have an array of lures in all different sizes. Personally in sydney harbour I think the lure that covers most of the spectrum is the 10g raider.

However having fished Sydney almost exclusively for pelagics I have noticed that the kings on the surface will be feeding on krill. I have had days where there are 1000 kings on the surface and not even had a touch with any of my lures.

I had this problem two weeks ago with some salmon too.

So I have invested in an 8# Fly Combo and it had paid off big time. With fly fishing you can cast the smallest bait imitations to the largest bait imitations. My catch rate has already significantly increased.

So if you really want to outfish everybody have a look at the fly, because by limiting yourself to spinning you cant always match the hatch.

And just on Summer is Coming.

The big thing about Sydney and last summer was Bonito. In the peak of last summer Bonito were everywhere and once they dissapeared so too did the kings and the reliable surface action. Until Wednesday I hadn't seen or caught Bonito since April. On Wednesday I got a couple all up on the surface. Lets hope they hang around because for their size they are great fighters.

Thanks guys i will have to make a trip to the tackle shop soon and stock up :drool:

Mate its all about 'match the hatch'.

You need to have an array of lures in all different sizes. Personally in sydney harbour I think the lure that covers most of the spectrum is the 10g raider.

However having fished Sydney almost exclusively for pelagics I have noticed that the kings on the surface will be feeding on krill. I have had days where there are 1000 kings on the surface and not even had a touch with any of my lures.

I had this problem two weeks ago with some salmon too.

So I have invested in an 8# Fly Combo and it had paid off big time. With fly fishing you can cast the smallest bait imitations to the largest bait imitations. My catch rate has already significantly increased.

So if you really want to outfish everybody have a look at the fly, because by limiting yourself to spinning you cant always match the hatch.

And just on Summer is Coming.

The big thing about Sydney and last summer was Bonito. In the peak of last summer Bonito were everywhere and once they dissapeared so too did the kings and the reliable surface action. Until Wednesday I hadn't seen or caught Bonito since April. On Wednesday I got a couple all up on the surface. Lets hope they hang around because for their size they are great fighters.

And i will certainly put that into consideration thanks mate