break wall fishing

Izza

hey guys I was fishing off the break wall at windang the other day and was wondering on what the best way to land a fish off the break wall would be(hooked up to a salmon but with my dilly dallying of not being sure how to land him lead to him getting off). Im not sure whether I should just try n pull them up over the rocks as best I can on a good wave n bringing them up that way or am I better off playing them down the wall and landing them on the beach, Its hard to get down to the water on the break wall as there arent many spots to get down to the water to and most of the lower parts are getting hit with waves fairly regularly, I was thinking maybe a net or gaff might help? Im mainly chasing salmon on 30lb mono with a 40lb leader off either my 10 or 12ft beach rod

Thats pretty heavy line i rekon you could just lift them up with that lineclass provided the salmon you are catching are not 10 kilos :1fishing1: but make sure your hook is properly set in before doing this like a solid hook up in the jaw would be fine but a swallowed hook that you cant see i wouldnt risk it. A long handled net will do the job well i think better than a gaff because of the awkwardness when the pole/handle starts getting really long. but i never fish from areas like that so there you go haha. Anyways try to keep constant pressure on the fish by pulling it around in circles thats what i always do when im waiting for the net.it keeps constant pressure on your fish

Guest Aussie007

pull the fish up using your rod just make sure the lift the fish up on either side not to your self or u will snap the rod

Guest Aussie007

oh ok sweet I get ya instead of trying to land him straight at my feet get him in close n left him up to the right or left, cheers for the advice mate

another way is to get a small 3-4kg reef anchor the type that folds out used for jetskis and tinnies cut off the prongs and install sharp spikes lower that down on a rope move your fish to the anchor give the anchor a tug to set the spikes into the fish than lift up the anchor by a rope