Fishing in Windang

davido

Hello raiders,

I'm a first time poster and somewhat quite new to fishing (Did a little bit of fishing as a child but had a 10 year gap of no fishing only catching one fish in my life, Tailor of Windang beach :biggrin2: ).

Went out fishing in Windang in between the bridge and the mouth of the opening in the afternoon around 3:30pm to 6:00pm on low tide on the break wall Shellharbour, close to the cleaning tables. Me and my mate was using light gear with frozen prawns peeled targeting Bream.

Fishing for a while we started to get bites around 5pm, me being overly excited striked to early losing the fish and then getting the line snagged, tried my best to save the line but unfortunately had to cut it. My friend on the other hand was like "WOAH, I got something" reeling it in caught a Luderick :yahoo: (at the time we thought it was a Bream because we have never seen a Luderick before). The Luderick ended up being around 4-5cm under legal limit. Told my mate to give it a kiss before we let it go back but he refused haha.

The second bite went by quick, felt 2 huge tugs then nothing, I pretty much figured it took the bait because I put it on pretty poorly because of low light and no torch. At this point we were quite excited to actually have had some action because the last 4 years only went fishing 5 times for around 2-3 hours each time with no action. We both instantly fell in love with fishing from this point and aim to go fishing on a regular basis, can't let our fishing licence go to waste :biggrin2:

We plan to go fishing again tomorrow somewhere around Windang or in more into the lake hopefully getting luckier if weather permits, next time bringing a torch just in case.

post-19489-033609400 1310914753_thumb.jpg

Well done champ . Im not sure if its as good in winter , but in summer if you go on the opposite side of the river with live blood worms on smallish longshank Hooks you should be able to get a few lovely whiting and flathead on the drop , worth a try anyway .

Good report mate , good luck

Well done fellas. It is easy to get hooked on fishing. There are plenty of luderick in this area and just west of the bridge near the bowling club. Have a look through the forum pages and get some tips on fishing for blackfish. Get out and give it a go. The hardest part is actually finding the weed to catch them on. They are great fun to catch and taste pretty good also if prepared properly.

Good luck.

well 2 other newbies also were around Windang this weekend, the missus and I had a concerted go at Catching a salmon. note; we were targeting a species, good eh!. saw PW on the telly last week telling how to set up a salmon rig, spent a bit of time finding surf poppers and learning to tie knots on the cross swivels, putting gang hooks together, and studdied the sea to work out where the gutters were. Bunged on a pilli and cast in.............all up in 2 afternoon sessions we landed 9, 2 on pliiles and 7 on poppers, and lost a further 2 in the surf and hooked a seagull thing through the tag ring on his leg as he was chasing our rig. we are stoked, as we usually come backwith nowt , as we just bumble around and hang stuff on hooks. a bit of study and and planning was well worth the effort. did we see you up at the surf lifeguard carpark? we were in a big white van..........John and Jackie

well 2 other newbies also were around Windang this weekend, the missus and I had a concerted go at Catching a salmon. note; we were targeting a species, good eh!. saw PW on the telly last week telling how to set up a salmon rig, spent a bit of time finding surf poppers and learning to tie knots on the cross swivels, putting gang hooks together, and studdied the sea to work out where the gutters were. Bunged on a pilli and cast in.............all up in 2 afternoon sessions we landed 9, 2 on pliiles and 7 on poppers, and lost a further 2 in the surf and hooked a seagull thing through the tag ring on his leg as he was chasing our rig. we are stoked, as we usually come backwith nowt , as we just bumble around and hang stuff on hooks. a bit of study and and planning was well worth the effort. did we see you up at the surf lifeguard carpark? we were in a big white van..........John and Jackie

Nicely done, there was a couple with a dog further down beach I saw get a couple sambos when I was walking dogs

we were about 150 mtrs north of the surfclub, no dog, fluro red jacket. We would have been wearing our Fishraider logo'd beanies and Jackets if we had any :thumbup: ...............now there's a thought

Edited by piratesgold

Well done champ . Im not sure if its as good in winter , but in summer if you go on the opposite side of the river with live blood worms on smallish longshank Hooks you should be able to get a few lovely whiting and flathead on the drop , worth a try anyway .

Good report mate , good luck

I'm going to write this down and try it out some time

Well done fellas. It is easy to get hooked on fishing. There are plenty of luderick in this area and just west of the bridge near the bowling club. Have a look through the forum pages and get some tips on fishing for blackfish. Get out and give it a go. The hardest part is actually finding the weed to catch them on. They are great fun to catch and taste pretty good also if prepared properly.

Good luck.

I've never fished west of the bridge before or thought about catching blackfish. Definetly have to try catch one

I did see a lot of people fishing out at the break wall to the sea. I was near the park with the cleaning tables and BBQ

When fishing today 50m away from where I last fished, started to bite around 5:30pm to 7pm. Ended up catching 4 bream and my friend caught 2 bream. only 3 fish were just legal between 25-27cm. Most of the bream except 1 swallowed the hook :thumbdown:

Though first fish I caught in a long time so I'm pretty stoked :thumbup:

Going again for a third day in Windang, hopefully catch bigger fish if lucky lol. Though was pretty fun sitting their with your mate talking and all of a sudden you get a bite and it scares the crap out of ya lol.