Soft plastics rig for Jewies out of the Yak

JET01

I've got a couple of 1-4kg Shimano T-Curve flights (6'6 and 7') and a 2-4Kg Trion

My reels are Shimano Stradic Ci4 in 1000 and 2500 sizes and a Shimano Sedona 2500.

I'm away from home at the moment, but when I get back I want to start targeting Jews and Kings on soft plastics out of my yak more often. I did one early morning session (4am) just before I left and can't wait to get back out there. It turned into a bit of a marathon session (9 hours) and i can see myself doing a lot more of them. So i really want to get my tackle sorted so I don't come up short whilst on the water. At the moment i have a spare 3000 size spool for my ci4 with 6kg braid that I'm going to use for jews/kings, but i don't want to have to stuff around changing spools on the water just in case i drop it over the side!!!

I normally fish Botany Bay around Towra and W'ware Bay for flatties and bream which is why i don't have anything heavier than 2-4kg rods. Except for a cheap boat set up that i have for the odd trawl or live bait session out of the boat.

What rod and reel combo would you be using if you had around $500 to spend?

I was thinking about a 3-6Kg Trion and a Stradic Ci4 4000?

Would it be worth getting one of the Thunnus Ci4 4000 with the baitrunner function?

What soft plastics rig would you use? I was flicking 5inch Nuclear Chicken Jerk Shads the last time I went out but don't remember what size/weight jig head.

Been keeping an eye out on the net for specials so would like to have an idea of what i'm looking for just in case something comes up.

Opinions most welcome.

What rod and reel combo would you be using if you had around $500 to spend?

Nitro Viper and a Shimano Stradic 3000FI.

What soft plastics rig would you use?

Personally I'm a Squidgies fan, so I'd be using Slick Rigs from 130mm and up.

Edited by reLapse

Thanks for that I like the look of the voodoo. But not the price tag. Hard to find a 3-5kg or similar shorter than 7ft.

Berkley do the Dropshot gen III in a yak friendly 5'4" in the 2 - 4KG range.

Saw a online tackle retailer offering them for $89 on sale

<BR>Berkley do the Dropshot gen III in a yak friendly 5'4" in the 2 - 4KG range.<BR>Saw a online tackle retailer offering them for $89 on sale<BR>
<BR><BR><BR>I've had a look at those yak rods, but I fish out of Hobie Revolution which is quite long. So in the event that the fish goes under the yak (which has happened before) then i need enough length in the rod to get the line around the bow or the stern without rubbing it on the side of the yak. I like the extra casting distance from longer rods too. Edited by JET01

<BR><BR><BR>I've had a look at those yak rods, but I fish out of Hobie Revolution which is quite long. So in the event that the fish goes under the yak (which has happened before) then i need enough length in the rod to get the line around the bow or the stern without rubbing it on the side of the yak. I like the extra casting distance from longer rods too.

what length rod are you thinking of?

18 inches between a 5ft6 rod and a 7ft stick...

I hear you on trying to steer a fish around the bow or stern of a 4m kayak with a short stick

what length rod are you thinking of?

18 inches between a 5ft6 rod and a 7ft stick...

I hear you on trying to steer a fish around the bow or stern of a 4m kayak with a short stick

Nothing shorter than a 6'6 as i wouldn't be able to get it around the bow/stern and nothing longer than a 7ft because it gets too hard to manage in the yak if i have to re-rig

I really appreciate everyone's input as there's a good chance it'll save me some money.

Most of these questions regarding rod, reel and line size get asked pretty often so i can understand when the long-term members get frustrated by seemingly repetitive questions.

It's great to know that the 3-6kg is going to be a good option.

The 1-4kg rods i have just don't seem to handle the 3/8th jig heads with 5inch jerk shads that i've needed to use in deeper water around the bridges. Not surprising really.

I've got some 5" crazy legs jerk shads that i'm going to give a crack when i first get home.

Now looking at a few rods online:

3-6kg Pflueger Trion 702

3-6kg Shimano Jewel 702

4-7Kg Shimano T-curve Revolution Inshore 691

8-15lb Samaki Zing 702

I can't wait to get home and check all these rods out in the flesh. Not sure which way i'll go.

I've read heaps of reviews of the Trions and after having a 2-4kg one myself i know they are great rods for the price. I've never had a Samaki though or EVA grips so might give something new a try.

Does anyone know which one of these rods would be the lightest?

Performance wise there's a good chance they're all similar, so as i'm going to be using a 4000 CI4 reel with it, i'll try to stay as light as possible weight wise.