Kings in Botany 17/7

quintrex480

Hi, been out a couple of times in the last couple of months (this dam weather holding me back) and seems like the rats are still around. Last trip out was on Sunday, took a work friend and his mate out for the first time trying to get them their first king. They were hard squidding throughout the week and managed to bring a few frozen ones along. But fresh is always best so we decided to try for some around yarra and bare island. Manged to get a couple in about an hour, so decided to head over to Molli for some kings. Sounder was looking quite promising and turning on my fish alarm had 'beeps' constantly coming on, I soon realise there was a pattern, these beeps would come on almost every 5 minutes and we'll get a hit, so it just proves what we've all known, that kings just cruise up and down the breakwall.

Stripped up the squid and not long after we were on, and I showed the newbies how to do it first, brought the rat up and quickly released (to the dismay of my fellow companions :biggrin2: who really wanted to keep it).

Not long after, got the guys onto their first kings and always makes me laugh watching a newbie struggling with a king, even though they were rats, they still gave them a run for their money. Then whilst I was trying to get the hook out of one of rats on the floor, my bait boards just suddenly breaks apart any everything on it goes flying, I stand up and I see my rod zoom straight into the water and it was gone in no time :ranting2::ranting2: So if anyone comes by a king with a Ugly Stick and Okuma bait runner Epix 60 hanging on the end of it, can you please PM me :biggrin2: and it just so happens one of the guys was filming and caught the board tilting over and then just break apart, who knows, could have been a hoodie :biggrin2: I'll post the video once I've done some editing :biggrin2: if this is what winter has to bring, I can't wait till summer and hopefully the bigger models come to play as well.

post-16665-016832900 1310965758_thumb.jpg

post-16665-048152400 1310965766_thumb.jpg

Nice one mate, kings are kings, a few mates have gotten onto rats so it seems they are hanging around, hopefully one of the bigger fellas pokes its head up :)

Very true for those of us who have caught plenty before, but the boys were quite devastated that they couldn't take any home hehehe

I remember catching my first rat, i was spewin i couldn't keep it haha, maybe they should have a rule one or two under 65 only or something

AHAHAHAH that's what the boys were saying, "should be able to keep any size if it's your first one" ahhahaha

Nice one mate, kings are kings, a few mates have gotten onto rats so it seems they are hanging around, hopefully one of the bigger fellas pokes its head up :)

Got smoked at the hacking big time and seen one splash at the surface chasing slimies, then the seals show, game over.

Nice work mate, there are still plenty of rats holding in Sydney Harbour around the wrecks.

Dan

Hey mate, what's the best way to go about finding these wrecks without a sounder? or would a sounder be the only way? :D

Cheers Sam

Got smoked at the hacking big time and seen one splash at the surface chasing slimies, then the seals show, game over.

Might need to get the downrigger out there with some fresh squid ! i've seen people catch kings there but never got one myself might just need to change that

Edited by cut_loose

Cant wait to see the video mate and I to have lost 2 rods due to using those shitty plastic rod holders...dam it...you think i would of learnt a lesson the first time.So I have lost one in botany one in sydney whats next pittwater ummmm i dont think so got rid of those crap rod holders and if u do have them on your boat u can either do 3 things:Back your drag right off,Put them on your camp chair were i think they really belong or give them to someone u really are not a great fan of :banana:

Hey mate, what's the best way to go about finding these wrecks without a sounder? or would a sounder be the only way? :D

Cheers Sam

Yeah you definately want a sounder to locate them first time out, after this however you shouldn't need a sounder if your confident and capable of lining up reference marks, ie surrounding boats, moorings, trees or structure on the shoreline.

Dan