East of Browns - 17/07

exhail

Hello all,

Made the call on saturday night to head wide on sunday. The weather was looking great and surface temps weren't too bad.There looks to be great water about 250km south east of botany at 2000 fathoms, unfortunately my range for the day was restricted to about 50km. My regular fishing buddy had to move house so he was out. My girlfriend is as keen as beans to catch a big tuna so she was in and another mate also joined who doesnt fish and had never been offshore before, I promised i'd have him home by 10pm.

We left for browns around 1:30pm and trolled the area for an hour or so. Had a good hit on a30ft X-rap on the 24kg gear, took a fair bit of line and dropped it after about 20sec. We started cubing at 4pm 2km north east of browns and were drifting at 2.5knots south east. I jigged till dark for doughnuts, we also had a slab of striped tuna off the outrigger which wasn't touched. My mate had a touch around 6pm but missed the hook, 15mins later we landed a stripey. We cubed for another hour or so until we used up all the pillies then decided to head home. As my girlfriend and i packed up the rods, my mate emptied the dirty pilly love tub over the side. I started the engine and was washing my hands over the side, as I noticed a large silhouette cruise past. After i changed my shorts, we clipped a trace onto the 24kg gear and lobbed a nice slab of stripey out for him. We waited for a few minutes but he was gone, so we started the engine back up to gain his attention, sure enough he came back. We watched him munch our tasty treat including a 14/0 circle. As the hook found its place he splashed behind the boat and slowly the reel turned to expose a fatal loop of line hanging out of place on the spool. It must have happened while packing the rods away in the dark. As he started to move i had to leave it and hope for the best, not an ideal place to have your fingers when he decides to run. He moved to the bow and thrashed in the water and sure enough the line snapped at the spool. As we all sighed with disappointment, a 2m mako with a shiny new lip ring launched about 1.5m out of the water next to the engine. Im sure i saw his finger up. At the rest of the crews request, i put another loaded meal out for him to no avail. We packed up again and headed home.

My Mate got home around 10:30, Im sure the action was worth the extra half hour.

Nice one.

I fished jbay for kings on saturday with live squid and live slimeys for bugger all except for a few pinched by seals and one squid taken by a pup mako of about 90 cm which turned out to be a welcome distraction in an otherwise slow day!

Gotta love some action to get the heart rate up over nothing!!!

Nice one.

I fished jbay for kings on saturday with live squid and live slimeys for bugger all except for a few pinched by seals and one squid taken by a pup mako of about 90 cm which turned out to be a welcome distraction in an otherwise slow day!

Gotta love some action to get the heart rate up over nothing!!!

you didn't drop any jigs ???

heard of a few taken on the weekend on the jigs