How much fuel is too much?

Ian J

OK short question long basically

I have just purchased a 6.1m plate boat with a 130hp Honda four stroke motor around 150hrs.

I was told that the boat had a 200 lt tank on board that's great I was thinking.

On further inspection it seams to be around the 325Lt mark as I have just put in a fuel sender and gauge and place 160Lt's in already, to check fuel lines.

The question is how much fuel would I require for a days trolling/ or general fishing.

Will be fishing out of Batemans Bay/Tathra

I know this question is like how long is a piece of string but whats the norm for this size boat? From memory the old man use to take around 70Lt's out for a general bottom bashing day not traveling to far with a 70hp two stroke.

Just getting back it to the sport from thing that where alot faster.

Thoughts ?

Cheers

Ian

I have just purchased a 6.1m plate boat with a 130hp Honda four stroke motor around 150hrs.

I was told that the boat had a 200 lt tank on board that's great I was thinking.

On further inspection it seams to be around the 325Lt mark as I have just put in a fuel sender and gauge and place 160Lt's in already, to check fuel lines.

The question is how much fuel would I require for a days trolling/ or general fishing.

I know this question is like how long is a piece of string but whats the norm for this size boat? From memory the old man use to take around 70Lt's out for a general bottom bashing day not traveling to far with a 70hp two stroke.

Thoughts ?

Cheers

Ian

Never too much Never too much... :wacko:

Musty

Never too much Never too much... :wacko:

Musty

This is true and I am not complaining. :) except when I have to fill up.

But 300+ of fuel is a hell of a lot of fuel to be running around with. (And yes I do know that there is no fuel stations out there)

Thought somebody may have a similar set up to get me started, I'll do some fuel runs and see.

Edited by Ian J

This is true and I am not complaining. :) except when I have to fill up.

But 300+ of fuel is a hell of a lot of fuel to be running around with. (And yes I do know that there is no fuel stations out there)

Thought somebody may have a similar set up to get me started, I'll do some fuel runs and see.

Ahhh the joys of boat ownership! They say "a boat is a hole in the water you throw your money into"

BOAT- aka "Bring On Another Thousand"!!!!

But we wouldnt have it any other way right!

Musty

Ahhh the joys of boat ownership! They say "a boat is a hole in the water you throw your money into"

BOAT- aka "Bring On Another Thousand"!!!!

But we wouldnt have it any other way right!

Musty

This is true, just looking forward to getting it into the water after the work that has all ready gone into it. Bring on the warmer weather, I say.

Cheers

Ian

I have a 6.1 plate boat with 150 honda mostly used for trolling. the boat is not real heavy weighing just over 1200kg on the water.

my average fuel cost is between 50 & 65Lt to the 100KMs.

you will fall in love with your honda although serviceng is a bit expansive.

Brett

Edited by oz_brett

Thoughts ?

I know they say you can never have enough, but fuel does go off eventually & at the price of premium if you keep it filled most of the time you want to make sure you go fishing alot !!! not a bad problem to be faced with though.

Cheers

Ian

I have a 6.1 plate boat with 150 honda mostly used for trolling. the boat is not real heavy weighing just over 1200kg on the water.

my average fuel cost is between 50 & 65Lt to the 100KMs.

you will fall in love with your honda although serviceng is a bit expansive.

Brett

Thanks Brett this is what I was after.

Yes all ready been stung with the full service don't know if I was done over but at lest its done, came in around the $650 mark but that was every thing and included checking wheel bearings boat steering etc.

I'll be pretty happy with the fuel economy,if I can get somewhere near that.

And yes that was the other problem with the fuel going stale

Cheers

Ian

$650 is realy cheap I pay between $750 & $800 for motor service only but mine us still under new warranty. I average about 8 hours of engine running each outing and about 110 hours per calander year, during the winter months I only go out once a month or so to avoid running up to manny hours each year or I would be servicing every 8 months.

Good luck with your new boat I am sure you will be realy happy with it.

Brett

Hi mate,

I have a 6m plate alloy centre cab with a 150hp yammie 4 stroke.

In a full 12 hour day trolling all day and just cruising between spots I normally use between 120 and 140 litres.

I have a 200l tank and at least I feel comfortable knowing if i fill up before each trip I have reserve.

Keeping it at the 200l mark should give you ample for a full day + enough in reserve for safety.

Cheers

Josh