Blue Mountains fly fishing

cc118

Hi Raiders,

In my younger days, it was all about catching the most fish or the largest fish. As I get older, maybe not wiser, I cherish the opportunity of catching a fish and sharing that moment with a special friend.

Thompsons Creek Dam is at the highest level I’ve ever seen and at 71%, there were more areas to explore. I was at the dam at 6am and watched the sun rise in the background. There were a few rises, but they were not interested in what I had to offer. Flycaster joined me a couple of hours later. After an hour or so, we decided to move on. The dam was busy on this particular day and I must have counted at least half a dozen anglers walking past me.

I settled in a section of dam which I knew would hold fish and sure enough, after 15 minutes, I caught a dark object out of the corner of my eye. The object cruised past me and as my eyes adjusted, I could see 2 fish moving in the shallows. They moved within 2 metres away from me. The male was about 3.5 pounds and the female 2.5 pounds. I changed to an unweighted nymph and dropped it in front of them. The male changed directions to have a look at the nymph as it sank to the bottom. I gave it a twitch and he spooked. After a few minutes later, the pair returned. I must have dropped my fly a dozen times in front of them before finally one of them became aggressive enough to take it. The fish moved right on top of the fly, and instinctively I struck. The fish looked as if it would beach itself, but then realised it was hook and took me around a flooded bush. Seeing the fish still attahed, Flycaster past me the net, and I slipped it under the fish. With the fish safely secured, I was able to untangle my line from the bush. This lovely hen measured 47 cm. She was revived and returned to reunite with her mate.

post-13314-028876600 1311592848_thumb.jpg

Flycaster later caught a fish, but refused to take a photo claiming it was too small.

We left around midday to check out Wallace and Oberon but failed to sight or catch a fish.

Until next time

Caddis

As Caddis has said it was a slow day at Thommo's. After several hours of nothing, we moved to a part of the dame that has served us well in the past. After many casts, we were considering moving on when Caddis spotted two fish almost at our feet. Whilst I persisted with a bead head nymph under an indicator, Caddis in his inimitable fashion changed to an unweighted nymph on a long leader. Using an 8 weight rod and a heavy 8 weight line Caddis presented his nymph with pin point accuracy right on the hen rainbow'e nose. It eventually took his offering and with Caddis whooping and hollering and backing up the bank, a moment's inattention saw the fish gain a tiny piece of slack line and wrap him several times around a sunken bush. Caddis was fortunately wearing waders and managed to net the fish with my long handled landing net. He then skilfully managed to hand me his rod and untangle his leader from the bush. It was a great team effort and saved a very slow day.

Cheers

Flycaster

Hi Raiders,

In my younger days, it was all about catching the most fish or the largest fish. As I get older, maybe not wiser, I cherish the opportunity of catching a fish and sharing that moment with a special friend.

Thompsons Creek Dam is at the highest level I’ve ever seen and at 71%, there were more areas to explore. I was at the dam at 6am and watched the sun rise in the background. There were a few rises, but they were not interested in what I had to offer. Flycaster joined me a couple of hours later. After an hour or so, we decided to move on. The dam was busy on this particular day and I must have counted at least half a dozen anglers walking past me.

I settled in a section of dam which I knew would hold fish and sure enough, after 15 minutes, I caught a dark object out of the corner of my eye. The object cruised past me and as my eyes adjusted, I could see 2 fish moving in the shallows. They moved within 2 metres away from me. The male was about 3.5 pounds and the female 2.5 pounds. I changed to an unweighted nymph and dropped it in front of them. The male changed directions to have a look at the nymph as it sank to the bottom. I gave it a twitch and he spooked. After a few minutes later, the pair returned. I must have dropped my fly a dozen times in front of them before finally one of them became aggressive enough to take it. The fish moved right on top of the fly, and instinctively I struck. The fish looked as if it would beach itself, but then realised it was hook and took me around a flooded bush. Seeing the fish still attahed, Flycaster past me the net, and I slipped it under the fish. With the fish safely secured, I was able to untangle my line from the bush. This lovely hen measured 47 cm. She was revived and returned to reunite with her mate.

post-13314-028876600 1311592848_thumb.jpg

Flycaster later caught a fish, but refused to take a photo claiming it was too small.

We left around midday to check out Wallace and Oberon but failed to sight or catch a fish.

Until next time

Caddis

What a great report mate and awesome trout.

You look rugged up i can only imagine how bloody cold it was there lol

Cheers, Predator