Port Hacking

Yowie

Fished out from Yowie Bay early this morning. Pulled out a 48cm flattie early on then quiet for a while. As the light increased, so did the bites, and managed 3 keeper reddies from 31 to 34cm, and an over 30cm red gurnard which was sent back. Quite a few smaller reddies about, some were only 6 or 7 cm long, attacking baits bigger than themselves. Salted bonito strips worked the best.

A pilchard I had sitting on the bottom was picked up and moved a short distance, then the line stopped moving. No return bite, so I picked up the rod and felt some weight, no movement just a dead weight. Retrieved it almost to the boat, then a head shake and it's gone. Probably a flattie around the 2 to 3 kilo mark, not much damage to the bait. It would have been returned anyway at that size.

Still bundles of freshwater weed floating on the surface, plenty of mud colour in the water, and no surface fish to be seen splashing.

Yowie.

Fished out from Yowie Bay early this morning. Pulled out a 48cm flattie early on then quiet for a while. As the light increased, so did the bites, and managed 3 keeper reddies from 31 to 34cm, and an over 30cm red gurnard which was sent back. Quite a few smaller reddies about, some were only 6 or 7 cm long, attacking baits bigger than themselves. Salted bonito strips worked the best.

A pilchard I had sitting on the bottom was picked up and moved a short distance, then the line stopped moving. No return bite, so I picked up the rod and felt some weight, no movement just a dead weight. Retrieved it almost to the boat, then a head shake and it's gone. Probably a flattie around the 2 to 3 kilo mark, not much damage to the bait. It would have been returned anyway at that size.

Still bundles of freshwater weed floating on the surface, plenty of mud colour in the water, and no surface fish to be seen splashing.

Yowie.

G'day Yowie,

You did pretty well considering the fresh still has the rivers and bays in it's grip.

You must have been fishing a reasonable depth of water.

The fresh water will float over the salt water so hopefully salinity levels on the bottom would be close to normal.

The pelagics would probably be the last to return to normal.

Tony

Nice work Yowie, nice feed of reddies and flathead there. Shame the bigger model didnt come up for a photo at least. What is the water temp like at the moment?

Rich

A bit cool, probably will stay that way for a while yet.

hey mate i went out on the yak this arvo n fished around there actually saw a few surface splashes although failed to land anything still havent broken my yak hoodoo...

I was using gulp pumpkinseed worms got heaps of attention but i couldnt manage to land one, tried striking and not striking no difference.. Just wondering how others rig up their worms whether theyre plastic or live cos the fish always seemed to bite from the tail and nowhere near the top where the hook was... I tried having a stinger hook as well but that didnt help at all...

hey mate i went out on the yak this arvo n fished around there actually saw a few surface splashes although failed to land anything still havent broken my yak hoodoo...

I was using gulp pumpkinseed worms got heaps of attention but i couldnt manage to land one, tried striking and not striking no difference.. Just wondering how others rig up their worms whether theyre plastic or live cos the fish always seemed to bite from the tail and nowhere near the top where the hook was... I tried having a stinger hook as well but that didnt help at all...

Have used the 15cm worms only on a couple of occasions, (use more bait than lures) found them to be too long to get a hook up, so cut them in half. Still not much good.

I have caught a few fish on the smaller worms about 6cm long, these are a lighter colour than the longer versions. Best fish to date on these is a 6.5 pound flattie, not measured, but quickly weighed and returned to the water. Also caught an occie on the smaller worms.

Yowie.