About to buy new rod and reel

ironfist26

Hey guys,

I am about to buy a Shimano Baitrunner D in size 12000 and also buy a 10ft two piece rod rated for 10 - 20kg for those landbased jews and kingies. Eventually ill buy a rod for those boating trips as well.

Has anyone used the reel and have any feedbasck to give on it and i was also wondering what braid to use for the reel. The reel can fit 505m of 50lb power pro but i was thinking more around the 30-40lb braid area.

A 10-20kg rod is pretty stiff, and way to heavy for the reel you've chosen, Taking into consideration the reel you've chosen pumps out a maximum of 11kg of drag, I would go for an 8-12kg or something around that region, and don't think 11kg of drag isn't alot, it takes a big fish to pull 11kg of drag and keep running.

Your other option, if you want go with 10-20kg rod is step up the size of the reel, the largest shimano baitrunner , the BIG BTR LC puts out 14kg of drag.

A 10-20kg rod is pretty stiff, and way to heavy for the reel you've chosen, Taking into consideration the reel you've chosen pumps out a maximum of 11kg of drag, I would go for an 8-12kg or something around that region, and don't think 11kg of drag isn't alot, it takes a big fish to pull 11kg of drag and keep running.

Your other option, if you want go with 10-20kg rod is step up the size of the reel, the largest shimano baitrunner , the BIG BTR LC puts out 14kg of drag.

The newer baitrunner d pumps out a maximum of 13kg of drag compared to the 13.6 max drag put out by the Big BTR LC so there is not too much difference there. Baitrunner D also has more BTR drag that the Big BTR LC. Only difference i can see is the additional 2 bearings which i imagine would make a fair bit of difference. Also am looking for a stiffer rod but now i am stuck between the two different reels and deciding what to buy

The newer baitrunner d pumps out a maximum of 13kg of drag compared to the 13.6 max drag put out by the Big BTR LC so there is not too much difference there. Baitrunner D also has more BTR drag that the Big BTR LC. Only difference i can see is the additional 2 bearings which i imagine would make a fair bit of difference. Also am looking for a stiffer rod but now i am stuck between the two different reels and deciding what to buy

Not sure where you got your statistics, I got mine out of the shimano catalogue .