trout fishing tips - mount druitt pool

JayKay

Hi Everyone,

I just got a call from a mate who said he booked me and him a session for the blacktown council trout fishing "family fish day". I've never heard of this so a quick google and it seems that the local council fill Mount druitt pool with over 400 trout and allow anglers of all ages and experience to go for an hour and fish and try to catch as many trout as possible. There are a 3 sessions per day which allow everyone a chance. They advised there is a maximum of 4 fish per angler that we can take home (if we catch them).

I have one major problem (amongst many others). While I have caught many salt water species on lures and bait, i have never fished for trout or even in freshwater. what do i do in regartds to bait, tackle and technique. is my 2-4kg bream rod and 2500 reel suitable? what size hooks. do i use bait or plastics or go out and buy flys. any help will be appreciated and make the day more enjoyable. whatever happens it will be a learning experience.

Regards

JayKay

DO they put any restrictions on method?

Easiest way to get a few would be to baitfish with Powerbait I would have thought. Either using a bubble float or running sinker rig to a 2 ft trace so that the Powerbait sits off the bottom of the pool. Use only very small hooks in a baitholder pattern I reckon, maybe size 8 (can't remember what I've used in the past). Only use light 4lb fluor trace or something I reckon.

Reckon it would be fun with some small plastics as well.

Good luck

Caine

Thanks Caine. wouldnt of thought of using a float. Hopefully I get a few. does anyone reckon they will take bait like prawn or pilchard? or someone suggested bread?

I looked on the website and doesnt say anything about restriction of methods. might have to take the drag net.

Edited by JayKay

Thanks Caine. wouldnt of thought of using a float. Hopefully I get a few. does anyone reckon they will take bait like prawn or pilchard? or someone suggested bread?

I looked on the website and doesnt say anything about restriction of methods. might have to take the drag net.

Would be using the humble garden worm or a grub before a prawn or pilchard.

Caine

Hi Guys,I have been giong out there with fishcare for the last three years ,the only rules i know of are no sinkers because they chip the tiles also i think no nets, apart from that you will catch trout ,also they have a lot prizes on the night week and weekend trips to various holiday locations on the coast...Cheers Laurie PS powerbait is the gun bait it is available out there,see you out there.