Safety Gear

Knave

My son had the Water Police give him a visit in Botany Bay this morning. He was in a small tinne and had, what I thought, was all of the correct safety gear for a tinnie in the Bay. He got an official warning for not having a fire extinquisher and having gear stowed in the plastic bailing bucket. The boat does not have a battery but we run the fish finder off a small gell filled battery that is stowed in a plastic case. I checked the rules and it does say that if you have a battery on board you must have a fire extinguisher. I thought it was bit over the top about having gear in the bucket. It would take one second to turn it upside down to empty.

My son had the Water Police give him a visit in Botany Bay this morning. He was in a small tinne and had, what I thought, was all of the correct safety gear for a tinnie in the Bay. He got an official warning for not having a fire extinquisher and having gear stowed in the plastic bailing bucket. The boat does not have a battery but we run the fish finder off a small gell filled battery that is stowed in a plastic case. I checked the rules and it does say that if you have a battery on board you must have a fire extinguisher. I thought it was bit over the top about having gear in the bucket. It would take one second to turn it upside down to empty.

Hmmm I wouldnt be very curious to find out the "exact" requirements for the gear onboard you need to warrant having a fire extinguisher onboard??? As onboard Greg's boat we have a marine radio, epirb, flares, V-sheet and all the offshore safety gear. Its was a requirement when he was living in Northern Queensland, despite the boat only being 4.1m long which sometimes we take out rather wide! Ohhh we also carry onboard two marine batteries, one for the lights etc, and the other for the live bait tank

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

Knave Here is the latest list for reference .

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sbh/safety_equipment/safety_equipment.html

As for the bucket , I agree with your comments. Where do they expect you to store the gear ??

Mine is in a storage box under the seat.

I suspect most other boaters store there gear in a similar location.

I'm now courious & have sent an E Mail to Maritime asking them to clarify the ruleing.

Geoff

They are worse in the harbour. They'll get you for things like not having your white round light at least 1 meter above the bow (at night). We know the rules, but its a fine line between pedantic and pr*cks.

Knave Here is the latest list for reference .

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/sbh/safety_equipment/safety_equipment.html

As for the bucket , I agree with your comments. Where do they expect you to store the gear ??

Mine is in a storage box under the seat.

I suspect most other boaters store there gear in a similar location.

I'm now courious & have sent an E Mail to Maritime asking them to clarify the ruleing.

Geoff

I received a reply from Maritime ,

"There is only one for lifejackets which is on page 19 of the hand book"

In essence , the rule states , jackets need to be easily accessable. There is no reference to the storage or access to other safety equip in the book.

It's all fine & good for Police & perhaps Fisheries to do safety checks , unfortunatly their knowledge or interperation of the rules can be an issue at times.

Unless they are actually going to charge you it is easier to grin & bear it rather than argue.

Geoff

With respect to the fire extinguisher, you should not need one in an open tinnie without a floor.

They probably did not want gear stored in the bailer bucket as its primary purpose is to be used as a bailer and not a storage compartment.

Nonetheless, as usual they are picking on tiny things just to ruin your day and turning a blind eye to those deliberately doing the wrong thing

A couple of weeks ago In middle harbour I was getting lectured by Maritime about proper usage safety gear that I had on board and stated that I knew the new life jacket rules and that she was quite close to my boat. She was checking something in her vessel when I then had to inform her that she was about to run into my boat whilst not looking. She then promptly hit a throttle (the wrong one) and ran straight over the mooring buoy and rope that I was moored on narrowly missing my bow. Its the second time I have had an incident with a Maritime vessel with the first one hitting the wrong motor and bumping into mine.

Im glad they are doing their job though. I can only imagine the amount of people they pull up with no idea and no safety gear at all.