Catching livies

rjc123

Hey raiders, im going to have a crack at a dory or two in the next week or so and am having trouble getting yakkas. I get 2 or 3 bigger ones on a size 8 hook and split shot but cant crack one on a bait jig. I just drop it to the bottom and jig it slowly up and down. I have tried putting little pieces of prawn on but it doesn't help. Any tips?

Tom

Hey raiders, im going to have a crack at a dory or two in the next week or so and am having trouble getting yakkas. I get 2 or 3 bigger ones on a size 8 hook and split shot but cant crack one on a bait jig. I just drop it to the bottom and jig it slowly up and down. I have tried putting little pieces of prawn on but it doesn't help. Any tips?

Tom

i find that small bits of steak on the hooks works a treat.

and does anyone know a good spot adjacent to the northern beaches, land based? I fish alot off the northern beaches in the morning, pre-dawn, so I'm looking to pick up some livies on the way - I could hit the lakes/lagoons/Pittwater if need be.

Tom

Tom,

Burley is what will get the yakkas and the slimeys really fired up to hit bait jigs.

Mashed pilchards with tuna oil works really well. Instead of dropping the bait jig to the bottom drop it around 3-4 metres with a very light weight.

Use very small bits of squid on the jig and u will get them. If you use pilchard or prawns u will only hook big ones as these ones bite harder. The smaller ones will pick the bait off in a couple of seconds. Use a slow jigging motion or stick it on the rod holder and let the boats motion do the jigging for you.

If your after dory in the harbour, slimeys work well also.

Cheers,

and does anyone know a good spot adjacent to the northern beaches, land based? I fish alot off the northern beaches in the morning, pre-dawn, so I'm looking to pick up some livies on the way - I could hit the lakes/lagoons/Pittwater if need be.

Newport wharf is meant to be good mate! Squid there too

Winter is much harder to get livies then summer. As mentioned above berley heaps, I prefer just a single hook rig then a jig as there are no tangles etc. Also use a tough bait on the hook like chicken breast or something similar. Good luck.

Its always a good idea to have multiple spots to pick up your livies. We have 2-4 spots where we always get squid in the harbour, and a couple of cracker spots for yakka's were we can bag 10-20 within 5 mins of anchoring up.

Keep trying different locations, you will come across some fickle areas that hold a few small schools of yakkas, and others were you will find yakkas in there millions! :thumbup:

Dan

Yeh mate, went out today and managed 12 yakkas in 10 minutes on a jig. It was at west head in pittwater. I was actually quite shocked as i just threw in a few handfulls of my burley mix and dropped the jig about 4 meters down and as soon as i fllicked the bail over i had 3 on! Definitely going to keep using the jigs. They did tangle up eventually though...