auxillary

waldo60

Raiders,

Help yet again or opinion rather. I have currently a small 4.5 m glass Hinton with a 70 hp. As an auxillary i have an older 15 hp johnson longshaft which has a lower end bearing problem but my issue with it is it seems way too heavy and drags in the water when on the mount even when adjusted all the way. In everyones opinion, can i get away with a 6 hp short shaft, i dont care how long it takes to get back to the ramp as its a last resort.... will the 6 hp push my boat albeit slowly ???? cheers fellas, id join the towing mob but they dont tow down the south coast..

cheers fellas.

hi, i used to run a 5hp four stroke short shaft on my haines signature 550 and it would push it at 6 knots flat out with 2 POB. good for trolling and cruising speed limited areas. was great peace of mind and got me home when the main 140 hp dropped a piston offshore, slow and steady but we got there lol!

cheers ryan

Edited by rjs

hi, i used to run a 5hp four stroke short shaft on my haines signature 550 and it would push it at 6 knots flat out with 2 POB. good for trolling and cruising speed limited areas. was great peace of mind and got me home when the main 140 hp dropped a piston offshore, slow and steady but we got there lol!

cheers ryan

thanks gents. yeah ryan i was 90 % sure it would but didnt want to blow the cash and not do the job. im convinced now, thanks again.

thanks gents. yeah ryan i was 90 % sure it would but didnt want to blow the cash and not do the job. im convinced now, thanks again.

You would have no problems with something smaller than a 15hp.If you are interested i have a long shaft 6hp Merc for sale.It is a 2 stroke 2 cylinder known as the "American" model.Very quite and runs very smooth.Only used in freshwater for a bit of trolling.

For the record, i have an 18ft Carribbean half cabin which has a 3.5 hp auxillary. it pushes the boat fine once it get going. i dont think you would have a problem with your Hinton given that! depends how fast you want to get home with the backup motor. i like mine for is size, doesnt weigh the boat down and i like the piece of mind should my main engine ever fail. i often run on the auxillary only as a bit of a fire drill, so to speak. that way i know its limitations, particulary the wind and tides can play, but its enough to get us out of trouble or off the rocks!

Cheers