Parramatta Fishladderss

Hello all,

Joccool mentioned a newspaper article in another thread (partly quoted below) that mention parra fish ladders. thought I'd start a new topic.

"Some other good news...Did anyone read in the Tele' yesterday about the fish ladders proposed for the upper Parra'? This may be the start of a good thing for the Western Suburbs.

Could you imagine going to work at Seven Hills, stopping on the way home just on dusk at Toongabbie Creek, or any of the creeks up that way, and catching a couple of horse Bass! Sounds good to me! "

Article was in the Telegraph 30 May 05. Can't link to it as it is archived try your library?. ABC also reported on but in less detail. http://www.abc.net.au/news/items/200505/1374338.htm?nsw

Basically the article discusses Parramatta council announcement to put in 4 fish ladders on Parramatta river starting near the rivercat wharf. Three different designs. Interested in thoughts on. My longish ramblings below.

Sounds good to me too. I believe the upper Georges River now has more bass and mullet in it after i think bass sydney helped get a fishway built at Liverpool . Not saying the bass are thick but there are some - any locals out there to back this up?

There is some great looking habitat in the Parramatta Park (above the large weir). Deep water and lots of lillypads that reminds me of habitat on the north coast from which more than the occasional "horse" bass has been tempted. Currently it is much more likely to be carp lurking under the lillys at Parramatta. Haven't seen much of the creeks higher up but sounds like they will support fish.

I'm sure the fish laddders will come under criticism - councils are political bodies and not everyone fishes. Cost is going to be brought up at some stage. My understanding is that some fishways can be relatively cheap but higher barriers like the second 3 metre + weir are likely to cost significant amounts (that is measured in hundreds of thousands of dollars not tens). Though with the rate base of Parramatta and the potential benefits perhaps this is insignificant compared to how much is spent on other infrastructure.

I'm sure my political views are not the same as everyones. I would be interested in reading members opinions on the fishway annoucement. Personally I hope Parra Council gets some positive feedback from the announcement.

Happy fishing

I'm pretty sure I have spotted bass in toongabbie creek. There are heaps of big carp in it, right at the bottom of Oaks rd, Winston Hills. In fact after a bit of rain, carp can even be caught in Crestwood reserve, baulko. The bass would certainlt thrive in these creeks as the water quality has improved so much over the years.

Guest Jocool

Just adding to what Bash has mentioned, the water is certainly better. There was a big push not long ago for some of the parks and reserves to be tidied up and to help stop rubbish getting into the water. I saw a write up in a local rag about 2 years ago on how certain bushcare groups take a great interest in the creeks health as well as the flora!

I honestly think it would be a viable proposition one the ladders are put in, and if we a re blessed with a bit more consistent rain, that you will be able to catch bass up those skinny creeks! And it would be awesome fun too I would say. :thumbup:

re bass in Toongabbie creek by bashir,

Think it is quite possible that there is the very occasional bass caught or seen in the creek and at Parramatta Park. Very much doubt they are wild fish. Lake Parramatta (Hunts Creek) has been stocked with bass numerous times. Imagine the occasional bass manages to move downstream and takes up residence in the weir pool or toongabie.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Just digging this thread up from the grave.

What are fish ladders?

Myself and ehor (on this forum) fish Bella Vista very often for carp. But I have heard from a few people walking their dogs that it has been stocked with Bass.. can anyone confirm or deny this rumour? we have been yet to catch one yet. but that could also be due to the fact we are using bread and corn for bait :)

I have also heard a rumour that Bella Vista waters connects up with Toongabbie creek underground, which would be where the carp are coming from if it were true

Chris

Edited by Kit

I think you will find that Bella Vista Waters is located on an actual creek. All the developers have done is excavated an area for the water to accumulate. I'm sure it would link up with Toongabie Creek at some stage.

I think you will find that Bella Vista Waters is located on an actual creek. All the developers have done is excavated an area for the water to accumulate. I'm sure it would link up with Toongabie Creek at some stage.

66555[/snapback]

Jo,

I just checked the map, and it would seem that Norwest Lake connects to Ponds Ck and Cattai Ck.. eventually :biggrin2:

the bit that we fish is located on Edgewater drive, I've walked completely around this pond and it doesn't connect anywhere. It does have a bit for overflow, but that doesnt connect to anything either.

Hopefully we'll catch so much that we'll eventually clean out this pond of carp, but with the things breeding like... well breeding like carp, that might not be very likely

:biggrin2:

Edited by Kit

[Kit,

Can help you out with what a fishladder is - fish migrate - bass for example commonly move from freshwater to estuaries to breed, adults and young then move backupstream. Most fish don't have legs so they have to swim.

If they can't swim upstream because of a barrier in their way weir, dam etc the fish are pretty well stopped from moving back up. Imagine someone putting a wall up blocking the road (and theres only one road ) - not good.

A fishladder provide fish with a way to get over a barrier. Theres a few different ways of doing this. There is more info on fishway types on the web at nsw fisheries website or the murray darling basin commissions got some nice pictures search using the term fishways. The different types look different - but its easier to understand how they work from pics.

Best of luck with the carp - my guess is there in there for good - sounds like the type of situation they like, slow water with few predators. No idea if its been stocked with bass. If they can bass will probably escape downstream in a high flow event after a few years. Whatever the situation if they can't get in there naturally it will need continual stocking to maintain a population. Can be very successful though in some cases.

see ya

• 2 weeks later...