What's Next?

GregL

After owning NEXT, a 28ft Contender for the last 3 years I went to this years Sydney boat show with open eyes to see if I could find what the NEXT upgrade would be.

Strolling the isles, boat after boat with so many to choose from but none fitted bill.....

Heaps of options for family boating or something with a cabin. There was a few decent cross overs but all had compromise....

All I want is a fishing boat, not a big ask so you would think!

I also looked at Express boats to 38ft, great for comfort, nice and social when game fishing but less fishability than the current vessel and a half a mill change over :wacko:

I have toyed the options of upgrade to another Contender, a 35 with triples would be nice but 75% of my fishing is 2 up so a 35 CC is a bit over board. It would just mean more cleaning and running costs to do the same thing in a little more comfort with a $200k change over....

The current setup works very well but there are a few things that I would love to have on board to make fishing even easier.

First is an electric motor. MInn Kota Riptide 101 with IPilot, this should hopefully hold the boat in current and this mod should open up alot more fishing to this boat. Breaming will be back, squidding would be perfect and a few other fishing options like blackfish n drummer out of the boat without the need for and anchor. All the things that I miss of the Skeeter (except speed) now NEXT could do it. :thumbup:

LOwrance HDS10 with Side scan for console to use as a searching tool in shallow water or in the harbor. I'll keep the console and bow Furuno units to use outside. The Lowrance will just complement the others. After using Richards and Jason's up at Barras, I'm sold on these side scan units. CHEATING I TELLS YA!

A custom Carbon fibre box to hang from "T top" to house HDS unit that will match my console.

Battery and charging/mantain system for all 5 batteries on board.

Shore power system so when I get back to the dock it's only 1 plug to power up the whole boat.

New deck wash hose. Old one has a pin hole leak that gets me on the leg evey time I use it :ranting2:

A windlass to drop an pick up anchor. I havent really used and anchor in years. Fishing lures is usually out of a moving boat so never really use it. Last skeeter the rope was never undone from new! Of late tho I have been anchoring, trying differnet things and I want to start fishing baits again with the kids. Pulling up 5m of chain sucks big time, specially when you have to do it by ya self including controlling boat. Anyone know whats the better systems? Drum or drop down? Brands?

Toying the idea of repowering, Just checking with Contender on a relable to up the HP rating of the hull. I know they have done a new one and just need to check if hulls the same. :yahoo: 600 is so much better than 500Hp :1naughty:

Lastly a new wrap for boat protection. Last one did well. 3 years, 400 odd hours of running time (only 8 days trolling) and still looks ok from a distance. Not until your NEXT to it that you can see bill marks and other bumps and scrapes down the wrap and I know when I take it off that the hull is still going to look tip top :biggrin2: Print me a cool one Rich! :biggrin2:

That's it so far on the list, boats booked in for mid NEXT month for refit, so I have about 6 weeks to do my homework and get me bits ready to go.

Anything else?

Greg

Wow you sound like a kid in a toy shop lol!!!!

It will be fantastic I am sure of that sounds like you know your boats.

Good luck with it look forward to seeing the finished product be sure to post it dying to see it...

P.S if you need a life raft you could use my Boat lol :074:

Regards,

Nathan

Sounds like you've got a fair idea on what you want!

If you don't already have maybe some L.E.D: spotlights, gunwale, courtesy and live bait tank lighting might be something to consider?.

For that extra "water cred" Underwater L.E.D lighting to truly "pimp" your boat. Haha!

There are so many L.E.D options out there just got to get good quality to last.

Sounds like you've got a fair idea on what you want!

If you don't already have maybe some L.E.D: spotlights, gunwale, courtesy and live bait tank lighting might be something to consider?.

For that extra "water cred" Underwater L.E.D lighting to truly "pimp" your boat. Haha!

There are so many L.E.D options out there just got to get good quality to last.

I like the way you think!

Done the gunwales and have under t top fitted with LED, I have 3 underwater out the back in blue lighting, thinking a spot light over the front deck and replace the rear deck spotties to LED.

Might get a couple more rod racks for up the front under gunwale just to get a few more outfits on board.

Keep em coming!

i like the idea of 2 x 35ST's living in the same waterway but hey that's just me ;)

I'm just worried that the larger boats won't be able to fish inside the harbor.

The 35 I think is going to struggle to get between my poles on a airbirth.

"Old Mate" keeps waving the 32 in front of me, very very tempting, wonder if a 101 Minn Kota will move it or not....

Divorce settlement :1fish: hopefully gets signed off by the courts NEXT Monday, so fingers crossed that after 3 years life can move back on track.

I'm thinking boat this year as NEXT year will be my 40th and then I get to go through my midlife crisis so I can wait for a car till then LOL