Reel Advice

tentonner

Hey raiders, thought I would tap in to the wealth of knowledge here on fishraider. I've got a 7' sakana 10-17lb through which I want to run some 30lb tufline to be used in the summer for chucking 9' sluggos and poppers for kings in the harbour. I need to find the reel to match it with though. Looking for something around 3000-4000 size for no more than $300. At the moment on the list is a TD Sol, Daiwa Caldia, Shimano Saragosa. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated, I have a sol 2000 which I love so am leaning towards a sol atm. However would love to hear any raiders opinions on what would be best for this job?

Thanks guys, yeh I thought the saragosa would be the most heavy duty, I've never picked one up though, how would it compare in smoothness to a sol?

The Sol will definately be a smoother reel, but to be honest if you are fishing for kings you won't notice the difference.

I have a Sol and use it predominantly for salmon, bream, flatties, calamari and dollies. I have caught kings on it but i would want something heavier when it comes to the push and shove of a bigger king. Although it has been a great reel I am very dissapointed with the drag. I have had it re-done twice now and it has a step in it again (so much for waterproof). I am thinking of putting carbontex washers into it instead.

A fellow raider has a saragosa and he fishes as often as me and has not had any issues with drag. Something that should be high on the priority list for kings.

Mate I have both the Sol and Caldia, the Caldia is the newer of the two and she is a fine bit of gear and if you run some 20lb braid through her she will handle most of what you are likely to catch.

Check it out.....

Thanks for the replies everyone, went in to two tackle shops yesterday and after picking up the saragosa was disappointed with the feel of it. Also was told independently by both shops that they get a lot more saragosa's back than they do sol's despite selling a lot more sols. I realise this could be due to the fact gosa's are generally bought with an aim to pretty demanding fishing but nonetheless I think I will go a sol as Caldia's dont come in a 4000. Cheers everyone

Hi mate,

I've got the same rod and matched it up with a 3000 sol running 15lb braid and I find it's a perfect match (you can run heavier braid if you want) I think you'll find a 4000 reel too heavy for the rod. I upgraded the washers to carbontex from the start and never looked back.

The rods are awsome and can handle big fish without fear of breaking the rod, they are insanely strong.

Gotta Love spin_nor offshore, 60lb drag, tough as reels, you can drop them, boot them, step on them and they will get you BIG fish.

950 series has been know for catching marling :thumbup:

Best of all I got my 950 for $180

The 750 series is plenty for the kings etc and the drag is also 60lbs at full lock.