Harbour and 12 mile 03/08/2011

PRED-ATOR

G'day Raiders,

What an epic week it has been, had monday off due to bank holiday so went fishing and the day opff yesterday so also went fishing : )

Took out a fellow Raider - Cluedifier, for a jigging session as he had never been jigging off sydney.

Met up at tunks park and launched my boat.

Collected bait in the form of some yakkas and slimeys, put them in the live well then went for a troll around middle head for some salmon, only to have my eyes bombarded by a naked chode looking man enjoying the wind on his crevices on the nude beach. As discusted as i was, for some reason i couldnt take my eyes off him LOL. Its like when u see something hideous but cant help to look hahah.

Set the chart plotter for the horizon and punched it out to the 12 mile. Conditions were good with just over a foot of swell, not as calm as monday but still very manageable at 47km/h.

Got to the 12 mile, sounded up some fish in 429 foot of water, dropped down a couple of knofe jigs and a livey on the bottom and one on a ballon up top. Livey on the bottom became very nervous but didnt get hit.

Jigging didnt produce anything this time around, the current was very fierce and could not stay on the fish for long. I got to invest in a sea anchor anyone got one and how do they perform?

Trolled a couple of deep divers on the way back and Cluedifier (James) managed a nice Bonnie which he knocked over quite quickly.

Headed back around 6:30 was pitch black dark driving through the ocean which was pretty awesome as the sunset was over the city.

All in all, wasnt a very productive day but was still a great day on the water and much rather that than work lol.

Was great to meet a new Fellow Raider, Cluedifier/James your a great bloke and welcome on my boat anytime.

Enjoy the read,

Cheers, Stan aka Predator

Yeah nice work getting out twice midweek.

I havent been out for ages. Im interested in getting into some slimies. Whereabouts did you get them and were they schooling together or mixed in with the yakkas?

Cheers,

J

G'day Raiders,

What an epic week it has been, had monday off due to bank holiday so went fishing and the day opff yesterday so also went fishing : )

Took out a fellow Raider - Cluedifier, for a jigging session as he had never been jigging off sydney.

Collected bait in the form of some yakkas and slimeys, put them in the live well then went for a troll around middle head for some salmon, only to have my eyes bombarded by a naked chode looking man enjoying the wind on his crevices on the nude beach. As discusted as i was, for some reason i couldnt take my eyes off him LOL. Its like when u see something hideous but cant help to look hahah.

Set the chart plotter for the horizon and punched it out to the 12 mile. Conditions were good with just over a foot of swell, not as calm as monday but still very manageable at 47km/h.

Got to the 12 mile, sounded up some fish in 429 foot of water, dropped down a couple of knofe jigs and a livey on the bottom and one on a ballon up top. Livey on the bottom became very nervous but didnt get hit.

Jigging didnt produce anything this time around, the current was very fierce and could not stay on the fish for long. I got to invest in a sea anchor anyone got one and how do they perform?

Trolled a couple of deep divers on the way back and Cluedifier (James) managed a nice Bonnie which he knocked over quite quickly.

Headed back around 6:30 was pitch black dark driving through the ocean which was pretty awesome as the sunset was over the city.

All in all, wasnt a very productive day but was still a great day on the water and much rather that than work lol.

Was great to meet a new Fellow Raider, Cluedifier/James your a great bloke and welcome on my boat anytime.

Enjoy the read,

Stan,

Sea anchors work a treat and slow the drift down significantly. :thumbup:

Pete.

Stan,

Sea anchors work a treat and slow the drift down significantly. :thumbup:

Pete.

Thanks Pete,

Do they work on the same principle as a parachute? also what is a reasonable price to pay for them and what should i be looking for?

Thanks again

Thanks Pete,

Do they work on the same principle as a parachute? also what is a reasonable price to pay for them and what should i be looking for?

Thanks again

They look like a parachute in under the water, they create extra drag to slow your drift down. You need to match the size of the sea anchor to the size of your boat. Cost about $25 for a basic one to suit boats up to 6m. You can spend up to $300 for a big "parachute" para anchor.

They look like this:

Basic one:

post-12851-064735800 1312418805_thumb.jpg

Large one:

post-12851-061362200 1312418838_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps.

They look like a parachute in under the water, they create extra drag to slow your drift down. You need to match the size of the sea anchor to the size of your boat. Cost about $25 for a basic one to suit boats up to 6m. You can spend up to $300 for a big "parachute" para anchor.

They look like this:

Basic one:

Large one:

Hope this helps.

Thanks aquaman,

that para anchor looks beastly.

I always thought that something that would catch water in the current would actually make u drift faster but cant argue with results i guess

Thanks aquaman,

that para anchor looks beastly.

I always thought that something that would catch water in the current would actually make u drift faster but cant argue with results i guess

Its just like chucking a bucket out the back on a bit of rope really (which you could do). Your boat will move faster with the current due to having a larger surface area and "drag" the bucket behind slowing you down a bit.

Its just like chucking a bucket out the back on a bit of rope really (which you could do). Your boat will move faster with the current due to having a larger surface area and "drag" the bucket behind slowing you down a bit.

Ok im just trying to think about how they would work, would that mean that i would have to position them on my boat according to the direction of the current?

Ok im just trying to think about how they would work, would that mean that i would have to position them on my boat according to the direction of the current?

I havent seen it but a little imagination says that you simply plonk it in the water - as you're boat drifts one direction the parachute will go the other direction hence causing some resistance for you.

Just chuck it in i say.

Hey if you're ever looking for a partner in crime i wouldnt mind tagging along. I'll be happy to pay for fuel, bait and licensed too.

I havent seen it but a little imagination says that you simply plonk it in the water - as you're boat drifts one direction the parachute will go the other direction hence causing some resistance for you.

Just chuck it in i say.

Hey if you're ever looking for a partner in crime i wouldnt mind tagging along. I'll be happy to pay for fuel, bait and licensed too.

Yeah no worries dude sounds good, totally get what your saying.

But what im thinking is, you chuck that in the water, the current catches the parachute and sends you drifting even faster because its caught all that flowing water. no what i mean?

Yea I just tie it off to either rear corner to suit the drift that the wind/current is pushing the boat along at.

It doesn't stop the boat from drifting, just helps to slow it down a bit. Depending on the drift and which corner it is tied off to it can be useful to straighten the boat slightly to allow better line angle from the rod holders.

It wont make a huge difference just slow you down a bit. It's not so much "catching the current" its more in the act of the boat dragging it through the water that slows the drift down.

Edited by aquaman

G'day Raiders,

Enjoy the read,

Can't beat three day weekends :thumbup: .

And yes sea anchors are a very handy item , good luck on those kings on your next outing

chris.

They look like this:

Basic one:

Large one:

Hope this helps.

I recently bought a para anchor which is the second pic not cheap cost me $257 delivered that's to suit a boat up to 8 meters but i think it 's better

spending a little more for something that's going to do it's job rather than a cheap one that does nothing.I have one like the first pic you can have it

Pred if you like no charge.

Edited by Terms