Jervis Bay from the stones

rikkigilbey

So spent this weekend in Jervis bay and managed to get one arvo out on the rocks with my mate matt i was staying with. the swell was low and the weather was perfect. i had a good feeling.

got down to my spot off governors head.

post-19135-075461100 1312788812_thumb.jpg

set up matt with a floating pillie sitting about 20 ft under the water. within minutes he pulled in his first fish...a pike!

post-19135-089046200 1312788756_thumb.jpg

mean while i fished my blackfish set up in the hope for some blackies in around the rocks. about 10 mins pass an i hear my mate scream WTF!!! a gannet had swooped down from the sky and plunged straight down on top of the float and pick off the pillie form 20ft down. it spat the hooks as it flew away lol matt was in a little shock, he thought he had been smashed my giant fish lol. i gave up on the blackies and using the same gear i wacked on a pilled and sent it out to join matt. after about half hour of nothing, i get a down and boom its a trevally, put up a good fight on my light blackie gear. things go quiet again after that for about another half an hour an so i decide to stick a pillie down in the depths, wihtin minutes the rod buckles over and im in! there were quite a few big head bangs and line was taken from my reel but just before we saw the fish it bit through the line, we reckoned it was a shark of some sort.

the next cast we hooked into something a little smaller and was pretty much a dead weight but turned out to be a bottom dwelling shark, but not sure what species??

post-19135-021609700 1312789313_thumb.jpg post-19135-001856800 1312788786_thumb.jpg

i also landed my first seargant baker :)

then the light was getting low and the fishing had slowed and we had both resorted back to our float set ups with pillies. gazing around we saw the whales, jumping and breaching, was amazing and we totally got sucked in, next thing i know i feel my rod tugging out of my arms...im in! i shout. matt jumps down the cliff with the net, this fish has some serious kick on my blackfish set up, line streams from the reel. i didnt want to tighten the drag too much because i didnt think my 6lb trace would hold. matt braved the swell to land the fish with net.

a bonito! and my first at that! was proper stocked as i thought they were a summer fish only and as i havnt been in auz long enough to experience the summer fishing yet, i was well chuffed.

post-19135-088968300 1312788864_thumb.jpgpost-19135-039765900 1312788767_thumb.jpg

so a good arvo, good feed. good times, cant wait to go back.