Releasing undersized fish

rjc123

Hey raiders,

i was fishing pittwater the other day and we got a few undersize snapper that swallowed the whole bait. The baitholder hook ( size 1 ) was right down and could not be removed. I released the fish even though his chances were very low... any tips on what to do in this situation..?

You could also try using circle hooks. The likelihood of being hooked in throat is reduced.

Cheers

Hodgey

Good idea mate, i have been using them for my live baiting and pichard floaters but not with the prawns. Might give it a go!

Hey raiders,

i was fishing pittwater the other day and we got a few undersize snapper that swallowed the whole bait. The baitholder hook ( size 1 ) was right down and could not be removed. I released the fish even though his chances were very low... any tips on what to do in this situation..?

G'day mack attack,

Circle hooks are a good idea, they nearly always get pinned in the corner of the jaw. Another good idea is to crush the barbs on the hooks, this makes releases so much easier.

As for gut hooked fish, cut the line as close as possible (as mentioned in this post) and the hook should rust out in a week or so depending on the thickness of the hook.

I think it would be such a good idea to have a tagging system for gut hooked fish, so fisheries can monitor the survival rate of gut hooked fish.

Cheers, Predator

G'day mack attack,

Circle hooks are a good idea, they nearly always get pinned in the corner of the jaw. Another good idea is to crush the barbs on the hooks, this makes releases so much easier.

As for gut hooked fish, cut the line as close as possible (as mentioned in this post) and the hook should rust out in a week or so depending on the thickness of the hook.

I think it would be such a good idea to have a tagging system for gut hooked fish, so fisheries can monitor the survival rate of gut hooked fish.

Cheers, Predator

Thanks mate, they should introduce a tagging system to see what happens after we release them!

A fishes chances of survival is pretty good, if as mentioned in a previous reply, cut the line off as close to the mouth as possible and throw it back.

We must remember a fish breathes thru it's gills, not it's throat, so as bad as it may look, don't think twice cut it off and throw it back, the longer it's out of the water reduces it's chances of survival.