A seal stole my dinner.....

pure spirit

Headed out to browns yesterday ride out was pretty good with the exception of the small squall i hit at about the 30km mark, arriving at about 8.30am I did my first drop as soon as i set the line i was sure i had a taker (the setup i'm on is very stiff and hard to pick hits unless you real get smashed) so up we come seemed to be coming up slower than normal so was confident of a fish or two but on arrival ZERO ! Repositoned and go again this time a hit for sure up we come from time to time the reel strains a bit but keeps on coming at the 100m to go i start getting me crap together ie gaff and boat pole (thing) to pull the line to the boat. then at 30m to go the rod doubles over and the reel makes a sudden scream .... only lasted for a second then back to normal I was thinking shark there goes half a gemmie.. electric cuts out with a few to go and i reel in the last 5m in, great two nice blue eye good size too then a huge seal comes from under the boat and takes the one on the top dropper had the drag set very high (near locked up) on the reel but it still pulled in just enough that I could not reach the line or my droppers as my rod bent to near breaking point and with 200lb leader still spooled on the reel i figure a couple of fish is not worth the dramas and the damage and there was no way mr seal was letting go so I cut the line after doing so I came up with about three better options of what i should have done but that's life. Moved to a mark about 1.5k from the central mtn mark and did a few more drops no blue eye but bagged out on gemmies.

Headed back to the coast with the plan of jigging off the heads but at about 10k out I see a sharks fin clearing the water, stopping the engine and grab a bucket of burley throwing half it over the side and grab the 50 and my pre-rigged case to find a shark rig. At this stage i had not seen the shark since the first sighting then it comes in from behind the boat and goes under I'd say at least 3m and huge not sure what type but may have been a white as it was so solid. Took me about a minute to get the shark rig on hook up a salmon i had and add a balloon.

Then start preparing for action, now history / luck show as soon as you put on a stand up harness and gloves you never get a hit and this was true yesterday, burleyed for about an hour but had no luck.

Might have been for the best I would have never got to to the boat and one things for sure I didn't want it in the boat !!!

So head back to the ramp with a good feed of Gem fish and wondering how the seal had enjoyed the blue eye and how long it held onto it and the brick i was using as a sinker as it headed to the bottom !

Think I need a bigger kill tank !

post-16646-088030700 1313536181_thumb.jpg

post-16646-014695200 1313536883_thumb.jpg

post-16646-043809200 1313537337_thumb.jpg

Hey pure spirit,

I've only ever had a couple of nice fish taken from me by seals before, but unlike many people, I take the loss very badly.

If the seal took one fish and ate it all and left the others alone, then I could live with that but they are territorial.

I have fished on a commercial dropliner for kings and have had EVERY fish on the line taken by a seal, a single bite to kill each fish and that was it.

They want you out of their spot - that's why they keep taking fish after fish.

I would have cried if the seal took a blue eye as I'm not keen on gemfish.

If you still like the gemmies, then great - you got a good feed out of it anyway.

There are so many makos on the mountain right now, why cant they take the seals?

It would solve the problem.....

Or perhaps 10 knots of current for a week....

Tony

Gemfish spawn and the mako run coincide, seals are there for a free feed and will generally follow the boat! Unlucky! Gemfish and blueye taste better than seals.

Edited by finin

You made the right choice lettin the blues go least u got a feed :P

It was the quickest thing to do at the time and I was by myself so seemed like the best option. Considered redropping and hoping that the brick would prove to heavy for it and it would give up and i could motor off a bit and re-raise but I have no idea how deep they go etc etc this way I didn't lose any line and still had enough leader to not have to re-rig I had about 30m of leader so the losing 5m was not the end of the world.

They Bloody annoying, I got smashed by them big time, we caught 11 Gem fish and only boarded 4 between two of us the rest got eaten up :1badmood:

where you fishing the central mark ? once i moved wide I had no problems ... it was just to lose blue eye i could catch gem all day but you need that mixed bag to make the trip worthwhile ! I know everyone is talking about all the mako but i lay trail for almost an hour (which I know is not a long time but all the same)without a sighting, once again I was off the central mark as i figured that those bottom bashing wouldn't be to happy with me calling in the sharks. Thing that makes it all the worse is i stripped down the shark rig before heading home only to run accross one on the way.

Nice setup, except the kill tank of course!

Is it a 5mtr Quinnie? and if so very game of you to go to Browns!

Cheers,

AC

quinnie 520 spirit 5.80m i believe, I would not say i'm game going to browns or anytime i head out on the water. my boat is very well maintained and never misses a beat I run dual indepentant batteries and full safety equipment things such as epirb and flares, water stain, strobe and torch and v sheet live in a water proof bag attached to a spare life jacket this lives on deck the whole day (it's the yellow bag you can see in one of the photos) out should I need to ditch (or if i roll), needless to say i wear a life jacket the whole day . I Plan my fuel usage based on weather and sea conditions plus carry a spare 20lt ((and a spare lt of 2 stroke)backup I alway plan on coming back with a 3rd of what i leave with. same goes with time, I never rush to get either in of out and i log my trip with marine rescue with a mid trip checkin . most importantly I go on the days the condtions look right, in that way i'm very lucky being the "boss" I plan my days off around seabreeze.com.au

Hey Im not going to be fool hardy and say it will never happen to me but if it does i'm prepared and I'll dealing with it the best i can but i'd rather be in that position than that of the person in the (as a example) 10m boat that has sat on a mooring for months unused or unchecked till some bloke who used to be a keen fisho takes out a few mate on a day they planned weeks earlier, the conditions are wrong, flares are out of date, short on life jackets, has not upgraded his epirb since they went digital etc etc etc my point being there is more to it than the size of the boat

quinnie 520 spirit 5.80m i believe, I would not say i'm game going to browns or anytime i head out on the water. my boat is very well maintained and never misses a beat I run dual indepentant batteries and full safety equipment things such as epirb and flares, water stain, strobe and torch and v sheet live in a water proof bag attached to a spare life jacket this lives on deck the whole day (it's the yellow bag you can see in one of the photos) out should I need to ditch (or if i roll), needless to say i wear a life jacket the whole day . I Plan my fuel usage based on weather and sea conditions plus carry a spare 20lt ((and a spare lt of 2 stroke)backup I alway plan on coming back with a 3rd of what i leave with. same goes with time, I never rush to get either in of out and i log my trip with marine rescue with a mid trip checkin . most importantly I go on the days the condtions look right, in that way i'm very lucky being the "boss" I plan my days off around seabreeze.com.au

Hey Im not going to be fool hardy and say it will never happen to me but if it does i'm prepared and I'll dealing with it the best i can but i'd rather be in that position than that of the person in the (as a example) 10m boat that has sat on a mooring for months unused or unchecked till some bloke who used to be a keen fisho takes out a few mate on a day they planned weeks earlier, the conditions are wrong, flares are out of date, short on life jackets, has not upgraded his epirb since they went digital etc etc etc my point being there is more to it than the size of the boat

Well said mate. I fish the shelf in a 4.5m quinnie. When the weather is right and everything is well prepared its is safe. I know the weather can turn and if it does the boat is capable of making it in.

I was watching you out there yesterday and you seemed to have things well sorted.

Well said mate. I fish the shelf in a 4.5m quinnie. When the weather is right and everything is well prepared its is safe. I know the weather can turn and if it does the boat is capable of making it in.

I was watching you out there yesterday and you seemed to have things well sorted.

Thanks mate, what were you in ? and how'd you go? if you see me again call me up I sit on 21 with dual monitor set to 16 (another safety step)..

Headed out to browns yesterday ride out was pretty good with the exception of the small squall i hit at about the 30km mark, arriving at about 8.30am I did my first drop as soon as i set the line i was sure i had a taker (the setup i'm on is very stiff and hard to pick hits unless you real get smashed) so up we come seemed to be coming up slower than normal so was confident of a fish or two but on arrival ZERO ! Repositoned and go again this time a hit for sure up we come from time to time the reel strains a bit but keeps on coming at the 100m to go i start getting me crap together ie gaff and boat pole (thing) to pull the line to the boat. then at 30m to go the rod doubles over and the reel makes a sudden scream .... only lasted for a second then back to normal I was thinking shark there goes half a gemmie.. electric cuts out with a few to go and i reel in the last 5m in, great two nice blue eye good size too then a huge seal comes from under the boat and takes the one on the top dropper had the drag set very high (near locked up) on the reel but it still pulled in just enough that I could not reach the line or my droppers as my rod bent to near breaking point and with 200lb leader still spooled on the reel i figure a couple of fish is not worth the dramas and the damage and there was no way mr seal was letting go so I cut the line after doing so I came up with about three better options of what i should have done but that's life. Moved to a mark about 1.5k from the central mtn mark and did a few more drops no blue eye but bagged out on gemmies.

Headed back to the coast with the plan of jigging off the heads but at about 10k out I see a sharks fin clearing t

he water, stopping the engine and grab a bucket of burley throwing half it over the side and grab the 50 and my pre-rigged case to find a shark rig. At this stage i had not seen the shark since the first sighting then it comes in from behind the boat and goes under I'd say at least 3m and huge not sure what type but may have been a white as it was so solid. Took me about a minute to get the shark rig on hook up a salmon i had and add a balloon.

Then start preparing for action, now history / luck show as soon as you put on a stand up harness and gloves you never get a hit and this was true yesterday, burleyed for about an hour but had no luck.

Might have been for the best I would have never got to to the boat and one things for sure I didn't want it in the boat !!!

So head back to the ramp with a good feed of Gem fish and wondering how the seal had enjoyed the blue eye and how long it held onto it and the brick i was using as a sinker as it headed to the bottom !

Headed back to the coast with the plan of jigging off the heads but at about 10k out I see a sharks fin clearing t

he water, stopping the engine and grab a bucket of burley throwing half it over the side and grab the 50 and my pre-rigged case to find a shark rig. At this stage i had not seen the shark since the first sighting then it comes in from behind the boat and goes under I'd say at least 3m and huge not sure what type but may have been a white as it was so solid. Took me about a minute to get the shark rig on hook up a salmon i had and add a balloon.

:wacko:

Headed back to the coast with the plan of jigging off the heads but at about 10k out I see a sharks fin clearing the water, stopping the engine and grab a bucket of burley throwing half it over the side and grab the 50 and my pre-rigged case to find a shark rig. At this stage i had not seen the shark since the first sighting then it comes in from behind the boat and goes under I'd say at least 3m and huge not sure what type but may have been a white as it was so solid. Took me about a minute to get the shark rig on hook up a salmon i had and add a balloon.

Third time lucky......

Good to see you managed to bring a feed home, trying to by pass huge sharks and the extra smart seals became a mission :wacko: . We put lights on our rig when we saw our mates boat pull up the first blue eye as he was running lights and that's when we got our two. So, yes, they can be of a help I think. Bad luck though with not hooking up the shark.

Chris

Thanks mate, what were you in ? and how'd you go? if you see me again call me up I sit on 21 with dual monitor set to 16 (another safety step)..

I was out in my mates boat that day, a 6.5m sea-legend with a 200hp yamaha on the back. We picked up our bag of gemmies and lost a few to that bloody seal as well.

We did not find the tuna though, we did not head wide enough to find a temp break (it was an additional 18miles east of the mountain). I'm wishing we had as everyone out on the break got either bluefin or yellowfin. We learnt our lesson. Go hard or go home next time!

Edited by fishmaniac

Hey flathead,

headed out to browns last monday had the same trouble with the seals,lost a few gemfish about the 30m mark from the boat lost 4 leaders ,than decided to bring the fish up to 70m than move away from the seals slowly ,this worked fine.Havent used a house brick yet only lead wondering how it works as a weight.

Hey flathead,

headed out to browns last monday had the same trouble with the seals,lost a few gemfish about the 30m mark from the boat lost 4 leaders ,than decided to bring the fish up to 70m than move away from the seals slowly ,this worked fine.Havent used a house brick yet only lead wondering how it works as a weight.

Yeh brick works fine cheap and cheerful, I also use lenghts of gal piping filled with cement at about 35-40cm they weight in a bit over 1.5kg they seem to drop better than the brick (kg for kg) but more time and $$ to make them. brick is easy just drill a hole put in a plug then a ring screw I use about a metre of 200lb leader (which protects you on the bottom and makes it easy to handle at the boat) to a swivel then a short loop of 15kg mono (as a break away) to a clip swivel on my leader. I just make sure i have a bit of matting on my boats gun wall to use as a resting spot for the brick whilst i prop my droppers throw them in first then the brick last. It's an expensive day fishing browns on every level adding the cost of lead to it just makes it worse so I see it as one area to save a buck or 20 !!. My mate how got me started on the brick rounds out the corners so they spin less but since i've made my own i have not worried.

If you need more info let me know and i'll take a photo for me.