Wind & Swell

3amigos

Hi All,

Being new to reading swell and winds can someone please advise on the following:

1. Best winds to fish in Botany Bay and what winds and speeds to avoid

2. At what level (meters) does it become uncomfortable and/or dangerous in Botany Bay

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Doug

For starters what size boat are u fishing out of? Cant tell u much without this info. Wind wise i was told by Jim Aitken who aitkens hole is named after never fish Botany in a westerly. You can always find somewhere to hide with varying wind directions. YOU should know yourself what you boat is capable of doing in varying conditions, only becomes dangerous when you dont. The depths in the bay vary of course with the channels but if you grab a chart you will find the bottom is quite uniform throughout. Can become very choppy and short due to reverberation where the water mimmicks the bottom in movement.

For starters what size boat are u fishing out of? Cant tell u much without this info. Wind wise i was told by Jim Aitken who aitkens hole is named after never fish Botany in a westerly. You can always find somewhere to hide with varying wind directions. YOU should know yourself what you boat is capable of doing in varying conditions, only becomes dangerous when you dont. The depths in the bay vary of course with the channels but if you grab a chart you will find the bottom is quite uniform throughout. Can become very choppy and short due to reverberation where the water mimmicks the bottom in movement.

Sorry forgot about the boat size - Quintrex 4.5m Lazeabout 50hp

So far everytime I've gone out it's been relatively calm below 10knots

Thanks,

Doug

Dicko, wind and size have a lot to do with things. Especially drift rates. The bigger the boat the better the drift and more comfortable. We can drift nicely with 15-20 and fish quite well at 1. 1.2 kn depending on current. Of course if the current is with the wind then all that goes to the :ranting2: house.

Doug you just have to get out there and figure it out for yourself with a 50 on the back im sure you can fly home if the weather closes in dramatically. Do you have the chance to see the water before you hook up the boat? If you can check conditions for yourself and decide will it get worse, is it dropping off or no i wont be comfortable in that etc etc, or just go for a drive one day when the weather is bad or good and have a look at the Bay, take a pen and notebook and note conditions. Then you can look them up for reference to help you decide.

Personally i wouldnt fish botany bay over 15knots in a small boat. Unless you hide somewhere out of the wind and are prepared to take a beating getting there and coming home.

Doug, You can read all you want, but being on the water gives you the experience and gain the confidence to handle the boat in varying circumstances, reading about it doesnt :lol: . M8 im still learning and if you dont learn something each time you go out, then somethings wrong or you have suddenly become an expert in the matter and if someone tells you there and expert then close the ears :thumbup:

Sorry forgot about the boat size - Quintrex 4.5m Lazeabout 50hp

So far everytime I've gone out it's been relatively calm below 10knots

Thanks,

Doug

I also have a 4.5 lazeabout with a 50hp!! haha how do you find the 50? I find it a little underpowered, i think 60hp is the max allowed but Id love to see how it went with a 75 on the back.

I understand what your saying finin - i agree that yes bigger boats will handle windier conditions etc better and still be fishable. I meant that (and maybe im alone in this opinion) I find it unpleasant fishing in wind of 15-20++ knots. I guess if you have a half cab you can hide behind it might be better but being exposed to the wind just shits me!

Hey Dicko,

So far the 50 goes really well, motors along quite nicely. How do you find the Qunnie? Do you ever go outside in it?

The reason for my original question is that I have to travel 1 hour before getting there, and at this stage they are forecasting winds of over 20 on Seabreeze.com.au so I figure, good day to sleep in on Sunday

Last Sunday I drove all the way out there only to find it was pissing down raining, so we drove all the way home. When I looked at BOM before leaving home, showers were heading out to sea, so decided to still go out there but different story when I got there

Cheers,

Doug

I love it mate! Perfect for what I do at this stage and is cheap to run and easy to launch/retrieve by myself in strong winds or a chop and easy to tow. I find the 50 fine in the harbour with no swell, but as soon as I get in to some swell I would like a bigger engine as you can feel it labours a fair bit to get up the waves, and its a bit slow getting on the plane if I have passengers.

I do take it outside, most of my trolling is done along the cliffs outside north head. I have been to Longreef. I would like to get more adventurous and go further. Just make sure you pick your days and carry enough fuel. The guy I bought it from used to take it out to Longreef wide and troll for Marlin. Im not that game but I guess if you pick your day wisely and have an EPIRB then no worries.

It does look like its going to be blowing a fair bit over the weekend but you should be able to find somewhere out of the wind somewhere. Only way to find out what your comfortable with is to give it ago.

Dicko :lol: m8 i agree with you! even in a big boat at some stage you have to step outside ill cop most wind but its that really nippy ^%$# i hate. Especially when it gets through your jacket/s. Can understand where your coming from in a tinny with no real protection.

Edited by finin