Live bait tank

brettmann86

Hi guys, a mate and myself are trying to retrofit his boat with a live bait tank we've got the tank now how to install it so it will flow water in and pump the excess out without drillin holes in the transom.... This has us stumped besides using 2 bilge pumps to do it.... He's on a fairly tight budget so keep that in mind guys... We are just solidly stumped

i've had a look at both whitworths and johnson to have a look at what we will need to finish the job but yeah just any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brettmann Photo's are always a great help to see what you have got , ie the rear of the boat / transom area , what tank you have & were you would like it to be positioned.

What is the concern with drilling a hole in the transom , it's the normal procedure

both for the inflow & outflow.

Unless you have the tank mounted high so the outlet hose flows over the top of the transom then a bilge pump inside the tank will be necessary.

If you go down this path then consider the electrics required for both pumps which should be wired & switched seperatly.

There is a lot more to installing LBT than meets the eye.

Do a search through the boating section , there is info on the do's & dont's of installing a LBT that you may find of assistance.

EG , http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=57395

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

Hey Brettmann,

I had the same issue, (tight budget, didn't want holes). I resolved by modifying a bilge pump and using my second drain hole ( assuming you have one) as an inlet. Saved a bit and works well. Holes in hull have never set well with me.. ( I know some are ok)...

Cheers,

Dan

hu guys sorry i should have posted a photo of the esky we are going to use.. this obviously isnt it but its exactly the same....

post-14110-014210100 1314170167_thumb.jpg

and as far as drilling holes into the transom we just are not a hundred percent about it... i dont wanna go yeah yeah just do it like this and then him spring a leak... if ya get me im just after ideas and suggestions... we are planning on using the tank to double as a seat in the back area so its not a space issue its just rigging it up without buggering his boat basically.... when i bought my boat it had all these features installed so i never had to bother lol....

thanks again guys

As far as drilling holes into the transom we just are not a hundred percent about it... i dont wanna go yeah yeah just do it like this and then him spring a leak... if ya get me im just after ideas and suggestions... we are planning on using the tank to double as a seat in the back area so its not a space issue its just rigging it up without buggering his boat basically....

thanks again guys

Brettmann

From your comments , I assume the tank will be siting on the floor. If so , you will need a pump outside the boat & a hose running over the transom to the tank + electrics.

There will need a pump inside the tank with a hose running over the transom + Electrics.

The tank will require 3 holes , 2 for the hoses & one for the electrics.

As previously mentioned these pumps should be wired with seperate switches.

I suggest it will be rather messy & more expensive than drilling 2 holes in the transom.

The inlet , outlet hose & electrics are fitted well above the water line. Using the correct skin fitting & sealant the chance of leaks is zero.

http://www.biasboating.com.au/p-960-acetal-skin-fittings.aspx

Geoff

If you are unsure about the live bait tank or it won't get much use. Why not run a portable aerator? Just take a small bucket and swap some water out every 1/2hr or so.

They work surprisingly well if you change the water regularly.

Like this:

post-12851-069864500 1314222080_thumb.jpg

Or I had one of these set up in my esky for a while pre bait tank.

post-12851-020895400 1314222154_thumb.jpg

Just an Idea.

I'll take a pic of my setup when i get home.

What i did was mounted the pump outside the boat(extended the existing fishfinder bracket so as not to drill the transom), for the tank i've got a bunnings drum that fits perfectly into a milk crate, i've made all the fittings on hoses/tank/pump removable so i just throw it in the boat or out to clean etc. much cheaper than other alternatives and much more convenient too!

I'll take a pic of my setup when i get home.

What i did was mounted the pump outside the boat(extended the existing fishfinder bracket so as not to drill the transom), for the tank i've got a bunnings drum that fits perfectly into a milk crate, i've made all the fittings on hoses/tank/pump removable so i just throw it in the boat or out to clean etc. much cheaper than other alternatives and much more convenient too!

that sounds like the go i'm actually thinking of buying that ice box off him for my own use :beersmile: and talking him into the drum idea i've had a look at some pics on the net and it seems like the go! but yeah looking forward to the photo's of yours :thumbup: