Squidgy Southern Bream Series Mallacoota

Hey guys!

Last weekend i went to Mallacoota for a 3 day fishing adventure :)

We pre fished the friday in the pouring rain :1badmood: and at times it was hard to even see where the lure landed but we did find a couple of just legal bream (28cm in vic) a couple of bigger fish which pulled hooks on us and a few feistey salmon that i landed on 3lb leadder

20rpveg.jpg

Saturday

We started 36th and after all the rain they had and reports of fish being hard to come by i decided to try out in the first lake in deeper water. That move paid off for us with getting out 5 fish bag in around 3 hrs then we move into the top lake to try get a couple of upgrades.

Straight away that paid off with a nice 34cm black bream comming aboard! things went quiet and after a couple of moves we got one more up grade then went back out deep for the last hour but could only manage 5 or so salmon again

After weighing in and meeting the one and only Bushy we came in 25th over all and pretty happy with our fist days result

Sunday

Things started off well with landing a legal bream on the second cast but that suddenly changed when i pulled hooks on 2 nice fish that one would of been a bloody monster at around the 40 fork mark! :ranting2:

The sun came out and the wind went which totally shut down all the fish so we moved into the top lake to try and find s couple of fish to help out bag

The only action we had was a couple of decent taylor and a suspected decent jewie i chased with the electric for around 15 min befor he got freedom by cutting my 3lb leadder

I noticed a few clouds coming over so we headded back to where we started the day in a hope that the clouds and wind picking up would bring on the fish again.

With an hour left i decided to go for broke and chuck out my blades on my 2lb straight through fluro set up which paid off and finally got our bag with 15min to go

Back at the weigh in and even with a smaller bag from the first day we still managed to go up to 24th over all out of 78 entrants and beating a few well known teams in the process!

Biggest bream of the weekend was this 1.8kg monster black and a beautifull fish to see in the flesh

v80jgh.jpg

Its a wonderfull place to fish and i cant wait to go back there as soon as possible to catch myself a bloody horse of a bream real soon

All of the fish were caught on the one colour blade and I ended up getting all ten fish for the weekend but we both put in the hard yards and its a teams event :)

2nqz409.jpg

Thanks for reading guys hopefully i go alright in the grand final in a couple of months time

cheers

Pete

Edited by Breambucket

congrats pete Sounded like a tough weekend but good too see you nailed a few. :thumbup:

Love that blade colour!!!!! i reckon one with some red spots would go well on the spawning trout! i mean what dont they catch?

hmmm i could do the red spots in a red pearl colour hmmmmmmm :biggrin2:

lol and the salmon couldnt get enough of them i recon we had 15 on over the weekend easy

Yeah Wayne caught 8/10 of the bream and all of them on one of my blades but a slightly different colour :)

They mostly fished the top lake but not totally sure where.

I'm gettin some molds done real soon so I'll chuck a few your way mate. I'm also getting in some "walk the dog" top water lures that I want to paint up and try so I'll get you to test them for me when the water is a little warmer :)

Cheers

Pete

Caught an episode of ifish filmed at Mallacoota with Bushy showing Paul a thing or to in relation to black bream on blades.Bushy swore by a phantom colored blade in that particular waterway. Bushy landed a number of decent bream on the phantom colored blade, whilst. Paul had little to show using a different color.

Caught an episode of ifish filmed at Mallacoota with Bushy showing Paul a thing or to in relation to black bream on blades.Bushy swore by a phantom colored blade in that particular waterway. Bushy landed a number of decent bream on the phantom colored blade, whilst. Paul had little to show using a different color.

Lol Bushy fished the saturday and said he could only find flatties he told me so i guess my colour worked well considering

Nice work mate...glad your blades worked well...did you chuck any bw wrigglers?

Hey mate i chucked them heaps on the friday and a little the other 2 days and not much attention at all other than some flatties and i fished them super light too

From what i heard from all the boys if there was one plastic working well it was lobbys but most of the guys up the top landed there fish on blades or hardbodys around the edges

Cheers

Pete

Nice report mate, 24th out of 78 is a pretty good result i reckon,

well done

good effort !!! sounds like a top weekend regardless if the fishing was a bit slow

Thanks for the kind words guys

Getting fish in a waterway you have never fished befor is a great feeling and doing alright in a comp is even better :biggrin2:

Cheers

Pete

Pete,

You must be pumped doing the comp - especially since you managed to do better than some of the seasoned pros. Doing it with your own hand made lures must also be doubly rewarding. I like the look of your blades - especially since they work so well!

pmak

Pete,

You must be pumped doing the comp - especially since you managed to do better than some of the seasoned pros. Doing it with your own hand made lures must also be doubly rewarding. I like the look of your blades - especially since they work so well!

pmak

Cheers mate thanks for the complements :thumbup:

The best thing about doing the comps is goin with my old man we dont take it too seriously we talk crap and if we catch fish its even better

But i still like the challenge :yahoo:

Cheers

Pete

Well done Pete! Terrific fishing in tough conditions!! Congrats on your placing! That colour on your blade is terrific! Bet you see a few more around that colour now! biggrin2.gif

That is a horse of a bream, eh? Shame your biggies got off! mad3.gif Hate it when that happens!

Roberta

Cheers mate thanks for the complements :thumbup:

The best thing about doing the comps is goin with my old man we dont take it too seriously we talk crap and if we catch fish its even better

But i still like the challenge :yahoo:

Cheers

Pete

Your conversations sound the same as Bassboy and mine......and the tougher the bite the more crap we talk :1prop: