Tyre age & Shelf life

Geoff

Having some tyres fitted to the car last week & the guy mentioned that tyres are stamped with the year of manufacture & shelf life of around 5 years. :1yikes:

On cars etc this is nornally not a problem as it is likely the tread will wear out before 5 years.

When fitting new tyres just check the year stamped on the side is the same for all tyres & it is the current year.

Tyre age for boat / box trailers etc are a different story. For my boat the tyres are now 8 years old & are less than half worn.

I am not aware of any specific law relating to tyre age , ie , one where we can be fined.

Personally . I'm not about to go rushing out & fit new tyres however I will be keeping a close eye on them to check for cracking as this is a sign they are past their use by date.

I don't need a blow out on the freeway.

This web site provides more detailed information

http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/passenger/care/age.aspx

Geoff

Good question Geoff,

I just had my first 10,000 klm rotation on my Coopers from our sponsor..Minto Mall Tyre Power and the wear was excellent...Thanks Dan.

I dont know if tyres actually wear out but I will never ever go past 2 yrs for my trailer again as I almost had a catastrpohe with a badly worn inside tyre that had bubbled and I didnt even see it .

The cost of tyres for boats and trailers are so cheap it is worth changing them every couple of yrs and I will now get my bearings done the same time for peace of mind.

If that tyre had of let go at 110 klms per hour I shudder to think of what may have happened :1yikes:

Check your tyres and if they need replacing do it straight away as it is not worth the risk or damage to your precious boat or car or someones life.

Cheers Stewy

Even if they show no signs of cracking or wear they can still go pretty quick if they are getting on a bit in age.

Only a few weeks ago I was on the freeway when one of mine suddenly go a huge bubble from under the tread (never seen a tyre do that before). Luckily I had slowed to about 90km/hour as I was just approaching the ramp to get off anyway so I was able to pull off and change it without too much drama.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that these tyres had great tread, showed no signs of cracking at all, and were about 7 years old, so even though you may look for signs, they don't always show until it is too late.

Cheers

Good question Geoff,

The cost of tyres for boats and trailers are so cheap it is worth changing them every couple of yrs and I will now get my bearings done the same time for peace of mind.

If that tyre had of let go at 110 klms per hour I shudder to think of what may have happened :1yikes:

Check your tyres and if they need replacing do it straight away as it is not worth the risk or damage to your precious boat or car or someones life.

Cheers Stewy

You change tyres every 2 years because your worried about your boat and peoples lives then you tow a trailer at 110KMS per hour?

Ive seen that many box trailers, boats & caravans (caravans being the worst ofenders) bottom up and spun 180deg slamming in to rock walls & guard rails because of speed not tyres, I wouldn't be game enough to go over 100K's with the best of combinations. I tow mine at 90Kms and even slower if its windy.

Brett

You change tyres every 2 years because your worried about your boat and peoples lives then you tow a trailer at 110KMS per hour?

Ive seen that many box trailers, boats & caravans (caravans being the worst ofenders) bottom up and spun 180deg slamming in to rock walls & guard rails because of speed not tyres, I wouldn't be game enough to go over 100K's with the best of combinations. I tow mine at 90Kms and even slower if its windy.

Brett

I am not towing a cumbersome caravan or unstable box trailer.

My trailer is set up perfectly and my tow vehicle,Pajero Exceed far exceeds a small 4 mtr boat that I tow and am very confident after 6 yrs of towing in all weather and road conditions that my speed is not an issue....MY TYRES ARE !

Regards Stewy