Eastern Suburbs Spinning

marshie

Hi all,

First report to share for me as I have only recently gotten back into fishing after (ironically) a fairly serious rock fishing accident. This morning planned to spin for the traditional winter species from my favourite ledge just south of Maroubra - and got an unusual surprise in the process.

After begrudgingly lunkering out of bed I got to Maroubra around 5.30 to give myself enough time to walk the tracks and be at the platform to launch out a cast at first light - which coincidentally coincided with a high tide around 6ish. Swell had been up all week and with a flattening ENE push had to contend with a bit of water pushing up against the face but was pleased see a cacophony of pilchards jumping in the pre-dawn light.

My first couple of casts with a 40gm raider proved that the hordes of salmon were around to play. After missing 6 or 7 strikes had a few pleasant words with myself in the open and finally got connected to a nice 45cm salmon a few casts later. Although I don't mind taking home a sambo or two I always follow what this Aboriginal bloke said to me once and let the first fish go out of respect. Throughout the morning picked up about 5 or 6 more salmon, keeping one and releasing the rest. Shortly before packing up I sent an exploratory cast across the suds and was smashed about 60 metres out - making a cracking first run and getting me all excited! In the wash I called it for a horse of a bonito - but upon pulling it out measured a nice 93cm Barracouta which is quite the rarity in these particular parts. Pulled in the gear and trudged home happily with my results.

Hopefully I haven't rambled on too long but would like to say cheers to the members here - seems like a top site that doesn't mind giving a hand or two.

Stu.

post-17379-050817400 1314321285_thumb.jpg

post-17379-016317200 1314321298_thumb.jpg

post-17379-030970400 1314321309_thumb.jpg

Edited by marshie

G'day Stu and welcome :1welcomeani:

Looks like it was worth getting up early. Seems that you had a bit of action throughout the morning. I like the idea of letting the first fish go out of respect. Maybe I'd have better luck if I tried that.

That's a decent 'couta - 93cm! Do you eat them? I saw one cut open once and it was full of worms. Kinda put me off them. They certainly have a decent set of chompers! I reckon that "toothy photo" belongs in "Toothy Critters". (Click here to go to "Toothy Critters")

Good to see you back into fishing after a "serious rock fishing accident". Hope you're okay now and this is the first of many more reports.

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Haha cheers everyone don't mind telling a story or two.

@Peter S, no idea on the eating mate, shallow fried the salmon which is just do-able a couple of hours after capture and salted the couta up to use as a possible snapper bait - didn't find the worms which some reckon they have.

@Cungee George v observant! A bit of 100lb mono and a sling over the shoulder works for me...maroubra is still firing can't believe how healthy it is compared to malabar, murk etc

@poseidon no worries brother can't have enough mates on the rocks in my eyes = ]