Where's all the livies gone!

brettmann86

Ok tried on sat for at west head and a couple other faithful spots for yakkas on sat and Sunday for no go, which was odd rang a mate who was at avoca and same deal! Anyone else noticed the lack of livies about??

I ended up having to settle for pike as livies and my nostrils were not happy about it

Edited by brettmann

Ok tried on sat for at west head and a couple other faithful spots for yakkas on sat and Sunday for no go, which was odd rang a mate who was at avoca and same deal! Anyone else noticed the lack of livies about??

I ended up having to settle for pike as livies and my nostrils were not happy about it

I have notice the same, i fish for my bait at buraneer bay - port hacking and have noticed them down there(not as many as say 6 weeks ago), but they not interested in any of my offerings.

any idea when they spawn....maybe this has something to do with it

hey Fezza,

you seem to be from that area do they tend to spawn in lakes or protected/sheltered bays?

i'm in agreement with mii11x does anyone know when they spawn or whether or not they retreat to the deep reefs to do so? i've never bothered tracking the moevements or "best bite time" :1prop: of yellowtail cause i've never not caught any for bait but i was just really surprised with the sheer change from a couple of weeks ago when a handful of bread had them boiling at the surface and to now where just bout every open water fishery seems to be devoid of them...

anyone know anything more on the breeding habits of the little guys??

wikipedia is not help it says they stop in the northern part of australia ha ha ha

this is what i found

Also known as Bung or Yakka.

Yellowtail are a traditional bait for recreational and commercial fishers (live and dead bait for tuna)

Fish put straight onto ice slurry are used for human consumption.

Yellowtail are caught with handlines and seine nets and are often associated with schools of pilchards.

They are a pelagic fish that form large schools in marine inshore areas such as estuaries and bays. Adult fish are generally found over offshore rocky reefs, while juveniles are generally found in shallow, soft substrate areas.

Spawning is thought to occur in the open ocean. Yellowtail first mature at 20cm (females) and 22cm (males)

I was also at west head last weekend, and getting no livies in spite of loads of varied burley... Nothing was showing on the sounder either.

but then I moved in close to the rocks, and hey presto, loads and loads of yakkas.

I think that the issue was that the water was very very clear, so I think the fish were trying to get closer to the wash coming from the swell on the rocks.

The irony was that I'd gone out in my tinnie to avoid the salmon I've been catching off the beach lately. I took the livies and trolled out along Barrenjoey, and caught...

more salmon!

So it was sceviche again, (slice the salmon into thing slices, let sit in lots of lime juice and spanish onion for 2 days, serve (unheated) with beans and corriander)