BALMORAL MOSMAN?

tomdidj

Hi,

New comer to this forum seems like a awsome site. I am a rather novice fisherman but love it so much my mate and i are always looking for an adventure when fishing. We head out to balmoral alot as it is close to home i was wondering if anyone fishes around there and could give us some tips in terms of bait, rigs and locations??

I was out at clifton gardnens as well and there were tonnes of fish down by the pier none were biting my prawn though. Also along the sand to the left of the pier there were at least 20 good 40 cm whiting cruising the shallows.

Any advice is much appreciated.

And if it's your day, you will get king at clifton too :)

Kingfish(morning) - Live Yellow tail or live squids (can be strips)

Bream, trevally, snappers (small one but) - Pillies and prawns

Jewfish(mostly night time) - Live Yellow tail or live squids (can be strips)

Squids - Squids jig at sunset to night

Whiting - I don't normally catch there but you need live worms or squids with long shank hook (I think I use small hooks like size 2)

paternoster rig or running sinker with small hooks will do

Hope this help mate. Whatever I missed will be added by other fisho :)

Hi,

New comer to this forum seems like a awsome site. I am a rather novice fisherman but love it so much my mate and i are always looking for an adventure when fishing. We head out to balmoral alot as it is close to home i was wondering if anyone fishes around there and could give us some tips in terms of bait, rigs and locations??

I was out at clifton gardnens as well and there were tonnes of fish down by the pier none were biting my prawn though. Also along the sand to the left of the pier there were at least 20 good 40 cm whiting cruising the shallows.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Re: whiting, if you can get live beach worms, you will be guaranteed to catch them. Better to fish early morning though.

I normally use the baths at balmoral to pickup my livies before heading out, but will normally fish a livie "just incase" while I'm there.

late summer this year picked up a few nice kingies on yakka, tail pinned under a balloon in mid water (this works well because the yakka fight against the balloon the whole time). This time of year you'll find salmon in the moorings but they will cruise by the baths as well.

Bottom live bait will often get you flathead.

When they are on you can pick up garfish pretty quickly berly with bread, and fish the surface.

Bream and small snapper are okay.

And there are heaps of trevally there at the moment.

Hey mate,

i fish balmoral quite a lot. I find that it fishes best around April however i always get a feed when i fish here. My way of fishing it is basically having 3 rods. 1 with a prawn, one with a pilchard fillet and the other with a live yellowtail that can be caught next to the wharf. I usually get a few legal trevally on prawns and pilli while the yakka usually gets a decent flattie or too! Lots of squid atm too. Late arvo's are best with bright colours so im told. Fish the yakka on the bottom and you have a decent chance of Flathead, Big Braem, Jewfish and maybe a salmon or king. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...
On 8/30/2011 at 12:05 PM, pure spirit said:

I normally use the baths at balmoral to pickup my livies before heading out, but will normally fish a livie "just incase" while I'm there.

late summer this year picked up a few nice kingies on yakka, tail pinned under a balloon in mid water (this works well because the yakka fight against the balloon the whole time). This time of year you'll find salmon in the moorings but they will cruise by the baths as well.

Bottom live bait will often get you flathead.

When they are on you can pick up garfish pretty quickly berly with bread, and fish the surface.

Bream and small snapper are okay.

And there are heaps of trevally there at the moment.

I realised this thread is several years old. Maybe fishing in the baths at balmoral was allowed back then. There's a sign that says fishing from the bath structure is prohibited now, and even casting out over the hand rail (not in the bath) is not allowed. We were told off by this lady who said she works for the council. It's a shame!

7 hours ago, JewCraze said:

I realised this thread is several years old. Maybe fishing in the baths at balmoral was allowed back then. There's a sign that says fishing from the bath structure is prohibited now, and even casting out over the hand rail (not in the bath) is not allowed. We were told off by this lady who said she works for the council. It's a shame!

Hi that sign has been there for a longtime. You can fish from the pier (where boats can dock) which is to the left of the baths

I have a suspicion that the sign was already in place when the topic was started in 2011. At least I remember it in 2012.  People are still fishing from bath structure and in the bath area at night leaving fish, mince and bread mess on the bath structure, however people are fishing less the proper place - the pier at night as the council removed or just does not fix the lights on it.

6 hours ago, savit said:

I have a suspicion that the sign was already in place when the topic was started in 2011. At least I remember it in 2012.  People are still fishing from bath structure and in the bath area at night leaving fish, mince and bread mess on the bath structure, however people are fishing less the proper place - the pier at night as the council removed or just does not fix the lights on it.

I agree that people leaving fish, mince and bread mess etc ... is BAD. But banning everyone seems excessive. Maybe they should impose a fine of x hundreds of dollars for leaving those stuff on the jetty (littering).

As for the lights not being fixed for the 'proper place' that doesn't seem to be a problem. Everyone seems to bring their own lamp, head lamp, torch etc ... and there seems to be lots of people there. My 8 year old boy commented about that 'proper place' as the spot infested by those noodle eating people (now, I'm not being racist, I eat noodles too). There seems to be lots of people fishing there with their gas stoves boiling hot water making coffees and instant noodles etc ... having a party there. The lack of lights doesn't seem to be a problem.