Woolooware Bay 3/9/11

mako1

Went for a fish on Woolooware bay yesterday to see what was biting.

The water was still cold so I wasn’t expecting too much action.

I started at the mouth of the bay casting poppers around for bream and whiting but I didn’t get any hits or follows. The water was 15 degrees and still too cold for topwater fishing.

I made my way to the back of the bay as the tide was rising. I was working plastics and vibes along the way but I only caught some chopper tailor.

I finally made it to the flats at the back of the bay and noticed that the water was about 18 degrees.

There was heaps of whitebait around, which the tailor were smashing on the surface, and even some gars and mullet jumping.

I started casting surface lures again and I had quite a few follows and about five swirls but no hook-ups.

A few more weeks and they will be feeding on the surface again.

I changed over to a pink hardbody and the bream were climbing all over it.

I tried plastics, vibes and other HB lures but they would only hit the HB lures with pink on them.

All of the bream hit the lures hard and fought really well.

Caught quite a few bream with nearly all of them over legal size.

Here are some of the fish from the flats.

post-2229-058743500 1315088841_thumb.jpg

post-2229-012046900 1315088848_thumb.jpg

post-2229-077086100 1315088855_thumb.jpg

post-2229-081027000 1315088862_thumb.jpg

post-2229-069581200 1315088869_thumb.jpg

I caught two 45cm flatties on the flats and dropped two better ones trolling along the eastern drop-off.

While trolling back to the launch spot I had a screaming run on a pink HB lure.

There were lots of powerful runs and plenty of strong headshakes.

I called it for a trevally but to my surprise a decent blackfish surfaced.

I couldn’t believe how hard it fought even with the damage to its back.

post-2229-019578700 1315088877_thumb.jpg

It was nice to get back onto Woolooware again and it didn’t disappoint.

Not long now and I’ll be chasing the fish with surface lures again. I can’t wait.

Top session mate you sure know where to find them in WB :P

I have always been a more of a natural colour guy but have also started to use pink with results with the blades I have made

I have never explored right at the back of WB so I might have to give it a go without getting stranded lol

Nice blackfish too they are one of my favorite species

Cheers

Pete

Thanks for the replies guys.

might try down there in a couple of weeks. If you ever see me down there in my red prowler come say gday. Nice report by the way....

No worries nat.

I'll probably give the bream another go over the next few weeks. I'm in a dune pro angler.

Great little session there Mako, I can't wait until the surface bite starts again. I have a couple of pink lures that have done nothing for me in the past.....they might get another chance shortly :biggrin2:

Pink has been my most successful colour in WB. I do get fish on naturals and some other colours but pink outfishes them all for me.

The only time I stick to naturals in WB is when I use surface lures.

I've had most success on the following HB lures.

Attack lures in pink coach dog and pink and mauve tiger.

Halco scorpion in hot pink.

Halco laser pro 45 in hot pink.

Top session mate you sure know where to find them in WB :P

I have always been a more of a natural colour guy but have also started to use pink with results with the blades I have made

I have never explored right at the back of WB so I might have to give it a go without getting stranded lol

Nice blackfish too they are one of my favorite species

Cheers

Pete

Be careful when heading to the back of the bay in your boat. There are heaps of old leases around and there are rock piles which need to be navigated to access the flats right at the back.

Your best bet is to go towards the back during a low tide as all of the leases and rock piles are exposed. Make a note of them and then come back during a high tide to fish the flats, rock piles and racks.

hey Mako

good stuff right there

and again thanks for introducing me to hard bodies :)

No worries CJ.

Can't wait for the surface action to fire.

Seems the only hardbodies I can catch bream on, are ones that don't submerge.

It can be a bit hard to put the surface lures down during summer and switch to diving HBs but there are situations when the bream will just smash the diving HBs.

If your used to fising surface lures and want to switch to diving HBs try the really shallow ones that either float or suspend as you can work them over the flats in a similar twitching action to surface lures. You can also try just a slow wind. Just remember to pause the lure a few times during the retrive.

This works really well over flats and around structure like racks and rock bars. Once you start getting some fish then you can move to the areas that are a bit deeper with deeper running lures and use similar techniques. Just get the lure down first and then use a twitching or a slow rolling retrive.

Once you start to get a few fish you will get more of a feel what retrives and lures work in certain areas.