Lucky bi-catch at the hawkesbury

puregeek

Friend and I thought we would head out to the Hawkesbury in search of some jew fish. Started the morning off trying to look for squid, no luck. So we went in search for some yakkas instead. Got about 12 but they were quite large (20-25cm). We then found a nice quiet spot to relax and let out 4 baits, was quiet all day until one of the rods just keep bouncing. We thought that it was something spooking the yakka. But it went on for the next 1-2 min. I thought id pull it in to check, then i felt some weight on the end. Thought it was a small soapie. Then my mate screams out "its a #!@#ing massive hairtail!" We couldnt even net the thing, so he just grabbed the leader and reefed him into the boat. Measured up a lil over 1.5m. Biggest hairtail that i have ever caught especially during the daytime at about 1pm. We pulled up and checked the other baits only to find them barely alive with heaps of scars from hairtails biting them. Didnt catch anything after that. But it did make my day. Has anyone else been catching jews at the moment?

post-9914-089345000 1315368015_thumb.jpg

Friend and I thought we would head out to the Hawkesbury in search of some jew fish. Started the morning off trying to look for squid, no luck. So we went in search for some yakkas instead. Got about 12 but they were quite large (20-25cm). We then found a nice quiet spot to relax and let out 4 baits, was quiet all day until one of the rods just keep bouncing. We thought that it was something spooking the yakka. But it went on for the next 1-2 min. I thought id pull it in to check, then i felt some weight on the end. Thought it was a small soapie. Then my mate screams out "its a #!@#ing massive hairtail!" We couldnt even net the thing, so he just grabbed the leader and reefed him into the boat. Measured up a lil over 1.5m. Biggest hairtail that i have ever caught especially during the daytime at about 1pm. We pulled up and checked the other baits only to find them barely alive with heaps of scars from hairtails biting them. Didnt catch anything after that. But it did make my day. Has anyone else been catching jews at the moment?

Hey mate, very nice fish!!! Been out chasing Jew on the last few moon phases but have had no luck whatsoever!!!

Edited by beejay

Amazing! Do they fight? Are they good eating. A lot of peeps on here seem to chase these critters - I assume there is an art to Hairtail fishing.

Well done mate. I hope its a record.

Pat

People freeze all night to catch average ones, you sit in sun and catch massive one.

Well done!

First of all well done on that big mother.

I must admit that after seeing some of the posts above I am interested. Do people actually target these fish and spend hours upon hours hunting them?

I ask because where I am from (Noosa) i have a hole that is great for jacks, jew and big trevally but often after a rain it gets full of these annoying silver flashy bastards and all you can catch is hairtail and sharks. So if your a real keen hairtail fisherperson and are heading up for a holiday in Noosa let me know.

Well done

Yeah, awesome fish. I too am wondering if they fight, and how they taste! Don't really know anything about them...

Hairtail dont really fight, even one at this size. I'd say a 30-35cm trevally would put up a better fight =).

In regards to taste, they taste great. Meat is very sweet and soft.

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! omg..... that's not fair at all..... i stay out in the cold night for like 6-8 hours and i catch no hairtail.

So jealous....... not fair at all..... and congratz on your catch. so lucky..... SO LUCKY!!!

I am pretty sure some raiders know how i am feeling. the cold pain.

Just looking at your photos killing me. day time... :ranting2:

Can i have some hairtail... seems like its got load of meat on it? :biggrin2:

Well done on your hairtail mate. :thumbup:

First of all well done on that big mother.

I must admit that after seeing some of the posts above I am interested. Do people actually target these fish and spend hours upon hours hunting them?

I ask because where I am from (Noosa) i have a hole that is great for jacks, jew and big trevally but often after a rain it gets full of these annoying silver flashy bastards and all you can catch is hairtail and sharks. So if your a real keen hairtail fisherperson and are heading up for a holiday in Noosa let me know.

Well done

Wow, I have never heard of them taken anywhere outside the Hawkesbury system and Sydney. Just did some reasearch then and it seems they're all over the country.... Maybe that's why there's still so many there - word hasnt got out yet.... Id keep that one to myself if i were you!