Weak spots in graphite rods

clemsy

Run your fingers along the rod to find any rough patches, hold up to light to see if any patches appear more see-thru, look for cracks/hairline fractures. But it is difficult. Just my 2 cents but I reckon many fishos have damaged rods in transit, or while in boat holders, when the rod rubs or bounces against a hard surface. Back of the car's a classic place to do this. Then the rod is blamed. High sticking, non-stretch braids and heavy drags on thin-walled blanks is also a great way to snap a rod.

I dont belive a small bump will do it, I have lower end graphite rods like starlo stix and mid range rods like T-curves.....I treat them all the same ie. be as careful as I can, but there have been times theyve copped good hits, and theyre still going good.

I would worry if there has been a heavy weight resting on a particular spot, or the rod has been struck by medium to heavy weight... Put it this way if you're worried about the rod popping on you, feed the line thru the guides, tie it down some where and load it up, if its damaged, it wont take much for it to go.

Right I see, that makes sense. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll definitely take it on. Graphite rods have opened up a whole new world of fishing, good and bad. Don't know how I will feel if I spend some big bucks on a rod. Might have to hire guards to watch it, bit worrisome haha.

Right I see, that makes sense. Thanks for the advice guys, I'll definitely take it on. Graphite rods have opened up a whole new world of fishing, good and bad. Don't know how I will feel if I spend some big bucks on a rod. Might have to hire guards to watch it, bit worrisome haha.

You dont have to spend big bucks, if you look around you can pick up starlo stix for $60-$70, thats not expensive when you consider some rods go for $1000 and up.

Yeah when I read about graphite rods, there was so much "becareful of this and that and don't do this or that", it made it seem like graphite rods were like twigs haha. Seemed like the disadvantages outweighed the advantages. But my tsunami bullseye rod has been quite good, however everytime accidentally hit it against something I get paranoid, as I'm still a student and don't have the funds to replace it.:(