Middle Harbour

Aussieweekender

Going fishing for Bream in Middle Harbour in a boat. Has anyone caught any there recently and what sort of area and lure should I be focusing on. Are they still in the deeper water?

Regard

Fished off Clontarf beach on Saturday with baech worms - on bite - one good size bream. Was out on the boat on Wednesday - zero

Thanks for your help not looking very good for a newbie then but I will give it a go and report back in next Monday. The last two times I have been out I have seen several fishing boats head into Quakers hat bay down there does anyone know what they would be after? Is it a live bait spot or something?

Dan & Greg,

I am sure greg had very sore arms at the end of the session!!!!

thats a mighty fine effort I wish I could have sessions like that but its not going to happen unless I get out there too!!!

hopefully in a few weeks ill be out on the water trying to catch a king too!!!!

Regards,

Nathan

You can get squid from most areas around the harbour where you find weed/kelp etc. Like north harbour, middle head, balmoral. Greg doesnt own a downrigger, he just anchors for 2-3hrs on each spot before he moves, eventually the kings come through. Interesting to not when he was out last week, he caught his first rat at 5.17am, and by 8am it was over, and he headed home.

Dan

I fished middle harbour this morning for nothing.plenty of yakkas but couldn't turn them into anything.maybe a bit to early in the season for kings coz the water is still cold.

where did u find the yakkas mate? A mate and me have been out twice in the past week to fish around middle harbour and cant manage to find any yakkas unless we go really really early

Yea at this time of the year all of the kings we are catching are very deep, usually 1-3metres off the bottom. And running a downrigging when fishing this depth raises certains problems of snagging up your bomb. The yakkas are always a issue, as by 5am its a painful experience trying to catch them. We usually get them in between catching squid or about 4am. You can always yakkas at balmoral, however its always easier to get them an hour before 1st light.

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

where did u find the yakkas mate? A mate and me have been out twice in the past week to fish around middle harbour and cant manage to find any yakkas unless we go really really early

I found the yakkas at d'albora marina near spit bridge, but got them at first light.they tend to become shy and uninterested once the sun is up.

Well my fishing report is not a good one. Fished all morning in pouring rain and no fish worth mentioning. The sounder only beeped twice all day and we caught both of them two very small snapper. I know they are there but I have never driven around as much as I have and not seen fish on the sounder. I did have some fun off Balmoral though with a pod of dolphins rideing the front and wake of my boat (very cool). I am definately going through a drought. No worries though every drought breaks sooner or later just got to be persistant.