Sydney Spring Kingie

leatherjacket

Hi Fishraider,

I caught two squid and put the larger of the two on the downrigger and trolled in the harbour. It was a beautiful sunny day and the water was crystal clear, but no fish on the sounder.

After three hours I heard/ felt the thud of the release clip on the downrigger and reel howled and my rod looked like it was going to break. Got the rod out of the holder, downrigger up and started paddling away from the buoy while pumping and winding each time the fish stopped peeling drag of my reel! I gave the fish no time to breath and then crack! The bloody braid broke!!! :1badmood:

Then I realised that there was still some of my green braid wrapped around the tip of my rod and when I lifted the tip I could feel weight at the other end. I quickly unwrapped the rod tip and started to hand line the fish to the surface being careful not to wrap my hands in the braid. Then I got a wrap on the mono shock leader, swivel, leader and then an exhausted kingie came out of the deep blue. With one sweep it was in the net! :yahoo:

This is a new PB for me, from 94 to 96cm and a 100cm kingie seems just as elusive as it was when I first started fishing.

Cheers,

Andrew

post-9297-091678100 1316336371_thumb.jpg

post-9297-076918500 1316336396_thumb.jpg

post-9297-065930200 1316336433_thumb.jpg

Edited by leatherjacket

Awsome fish, hand lining a kingy isnt the easiest thig to do.

I know from experience and a few cuts on the finger as a king took either the bread on my bait jig or a yakka that was freshly hooked.... i tried hard but with the 2 ish lb breaking strain of the bait jig i was no match!

Well done on pulling a decent sized king, i've only been finding little guys recently.

Awsome fish, hand lining a kingy isnt the easiest thig to do.

I know from experience and a few cuts on the finger as a king took either the bread on my bait jig or a yakka that was freshly hooked.... i tried hard but with the 2 ish lb breaking strain of the bait jig i was no match!

Well done on pulling a decent sized king, i've only been finding little guys recently.

Thanks for the positive feedback mate,

Actually I've been very surprised at the big kingies I've been getting in Sydney over winter. Much better than throwing 90% of my kingies back for being rats over the summer months.

Cheers,

Andrew