Port Hacking

Yowie

Fished early this morning along Deer Park for 3 reddies around the 32,33 cm mark on squid. The pilchards only attracted the little reddies. While I was trying to catch some yellowtail, some chinaman jackets turned up in the berley trail and chewed off a few hooks. Landed 4 that were big enough to keep.

I pulled in a small flounder that I released, and a kingfish followed it to the boat. A few bigger splashes around the boat early in the morning, probably more kings but not of any size.

The wind was swirling early in the morning, south-west to west to north-west and back again. I pumped a few nippers at low tide, headed to the main channel to drift and a south-westerly blew up around 20 knots, out of South West Arm and down the channel. It lasted for a little while, so drifting was out of the question, so I waded the shallow bank. Pulled out a few whiting, all undersized except for one at 38cm. The wind started to ease, the nippers ran out so I headed for home and the wind turned to the south east.

Yowie.

Yowie,

What was the water temperature in the river?

Thanks

Anthony.

Don't know the water temperature as I don't have a thermometer in my tinny, however, standing in knee deep water pumping nippers and fishing, it was fairly cool.

I had a swim at Wanda Beach today, the water temperature is 18 degrees according to the surf website, and up in the Port the water temperature is about the same on the surface and I would imagine a bit cooler deeper down. Enough to say most people would not be swimming at this time of year.

Dave.

Didn't do much better than you on my last night trip either. Fished the drop over at main channel near south west arm and only managed to bag four keeper snapper. They also were caught on squid one taking a whole squid on the sleeper rod.

Looking forward to the coming weeks mate when the water warms up :1fishing1: and the fish start coming on more consistant.

Chris.

Yeah only been getting undersized snapper nothin much happening Saturday night was all wind and rain hopefully the weather gets good on the weekend saw a really small school of salmon at Lilli pilli but wouldn't take my smallest lure they were very small salmon aswell hopefully the schools of bonito and kings come back in soon

A colleague of mine when out on the hacking on saturday morning, and caught a mixed bag of legal size snapper, bream and trevally in deep off lilli pilli using chicken breast and pilchards as bait. The fish are there but you have to berley really hard to get them on the bite.