Anchor rope tangle

The Incredible Hull

Just wondering if anyone ever has troubles with tangles in their anchor rope?

I.e. I reach my destination, drop the anchor and as I let more rope out I notice tangles

After an outing, at home I'd undo the entire anchor rope, and loop it up again so its nice and neat.

I do this by wrapping it between my elbow and palm. It's nice and neat but it still keeps tangling on the next outing!

Anyone else experience this?

Best thing is not to loop it through your palm to your elbow. You should let it follow its natural loops by... This is hard to explain... Hold it in one hand, sort of twist your hand so it forms a loop hanging down, then pass the loop to your other hand. As you twist your hand to form the loop you will see it wants to loop a certain way (its natural loop). You can do the same when retrieving it by doing the same thing but instead of passing it to your other hand you let it drop into the anchor well. Hopes this makes sense!

Now Im thinking about it, you use both hands on the rope. The distance between your hands determines the size of the loop. e.g: if they are 1 metre apart, the loops will be that big. You sort of bring your hands together, twist one hand as you pass the rope to the other. Geez, I'll shut up now because it's probably getting more confusing the more I try and explain it! Ha!

Just wondering if anyone ever has troubles with tangles in their anchor rope?

I.e. I reach my destination, drop the anchor and as I let more rope out I notice tangles

After an outing, at home I'd undo the entire anchor rope, and loop it up again so its nice and neat.

I do this by wrapping it between my elbow and palm. It's nice and neat but it still keeps tangling on the next outing!

Anyone else experience this?

When you wrap anything up in that way it will twist and tangle. Tradies would know this as wrapping up extentsion cords in this way will result in a severe pain in the clacker next time you go to use it.

Musty

I used to have that happen all the time .... my solution was buying a better quality anchor rope

I now use 3 strand nylon and it never tangles - it doesn't seem to have the memory or sit up in coils like cheaper silver ropes

It's more expensive but it lasts longer, is better on the hands and sits really nicely in the anchor well

I used to have that happen all the time .... my solution was buying a better quality anchor rope

I now use 3 strand nylon and it never tangles - it doesn't seem to have the memory or sit up in coils like cheaper silver ropes

It's more expensive but it lasts longer, is better on the hands and sits really nicely in the anchor well

The quality of the rope is a key aspect , the other , when the rope is new get the kinks out , ie remove it's memory.

Two ways to do this , anchor up , let all the rope out & allow it to stretch. if the current or wind is light you can start the motor & at idle , place it into reverse to apply additional strain.

The other is , in a good stretch of open water , preferable outside with no other boats around feed the rope out the back (without the anchor) as you are traveling along & tow it for a few k's.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

I do what Pure Spirit does. When pulling up the anchor, I just pull the rope in hand over hand and let the rope coil itself into the anchor well. You have to guide it a little by moving your arms from side to side as you pull the rope in. Never had a tangle when throwing the anchor out.