Transducer position test

samboy

Hey folks,

Just after a quick bit of advice. Just bought a Lowrance Mark5x sounder for the tinnie and thought i would blue tak the transducer on to make sure position is all good before fixing it to the transom. Could anyone please give me a bit of feedback as to whether or not this looks ok?

Cheers

Sam

post-15444-004334800 1317121020_thumb.jpg

Edited by Higgs

Hi congrats on your purchase, i am sure you will be very ahppy with it..

looking at your photo, i think the transducer is a tiny bit too low. while it wont affect its use when drifting or anchored, when you are underway i think you will end up with a bit of rooster tail coming from it. not a big issue but it annoyed the crap out of me when i installed mine too low. a slight lift makes a huge difference when at speed which also prevents getting an unscrambled sounder image on your sounder display. Also if it is too low you are likely to pick up surface weed etc which again p's you off having to remove it all the time. from memory, the instructions for installation are included with the unit so that should give you a diagram of how it all fits together and where to mount the transducer.

cheers

Hi congrats on your purchase, i am sure you will be very ahppy with it..

looking at your photo, i think the transducer is a tiny bit too low. while it wont affect its use when drifting or anchored, when you are underway i think you will end up with a bit of rooster tail coming from it. not a big issue but it annoyed the crap out of me when i installed mine too low. a slight lift makes a huge difference when at speed which also prevents getting an unscrambled sounder image on your sounder display. Also if it is too low you are likely to pick up surface weed etc which again p's you off having to remove it all the time. from memory, the instructions for installation are included with the unit so that should give you a diagram of how it all fits together and where to mount the transducer.

cheers

thanks for the reply Bisso. Yep the instructions are there but I find the diagram to seem easier on paper than it is in real life. Definitely will take your advice though thanks again!

Bisso is right about the rooster tail , however, some transducers have a block that can put in the gap so you dont get the rooster tail... and other have a stainless cover that goes over the top of the transducer to deflect the tail..If you raise it up to high above the bottom of the boat you will loose all readings when at speed on the plain..

My suggestion would be read the instructions and place it where you think... (some also have quite good adjustments) and give it a go and see where you have problems and what you would like to change..

The first time I put mine on, I made it level with the bottom of my hull, so as not to get caught on weed, or hit anything.. I found that this was to high and unless I was drifting or at anchored, I lost all readings at any speed.. It was due to the fact that the transducer was out of the water at speed...So I now have lowered mine almost the same as where yours is...And it works perfectly.. BUT, I do have to watch when I am in shallow water..Mine does have a saftey catch which allows it to swing up out of the way if it hits something :thumbup:

Looking at the transducer mount it also appears to be mounted with either silicon or sikaflex. I think at speed I would be concerned with the sounder being ripped off the hull overtime (maybe you are going to screw it on).

Hope this also helps

Squidboy

Looking at the transducer mount it also appears to be mounted with either silicon or sikaflex. I think at speed I would be concerned with the sounder being ripped off the hull overtime (maybe you are going to screw it on).

Hope this also helps

Squidboy

haha yep thanks mate, it was just blue tak to get everyones opinions on the position of it. Thanks for the concern though :thumbup:

congrats on the new sounder i was thinking when looking at the picture that isnt it supposed to be mounted on the drivers side of the boat as the turbulance from the prop can make sounder play up?

my mechanic told me that when i was mounting mine up i could be wrong but worth looking into before u fasten it

cheers Andrew

congrats on the new sounder i was thinking when looking at the picture that isnt it supposed to be mounted on the drivers side of the boat as the turbulance from the prop can make sounder play up?

my mechanic told me that when i was mounting mine up i could be wrong but worth looking into before u fasten it

cheers Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I did a quick google search as the manual didnt say anything about it and there are a few forums where people suggest the port side because of torque reasons. Has anyone mounted theirs on the starboard side?

Thanks Andrew, I did a quick google search as the manual didnt say anything about it and there are a few forums where people suggest the port side because of torque reasons. Has anyone mounted theirs on the starboard side?

Gday Higgs, I would stick it on the starboard side in line and level with the second strake Edited by abyss