Marine Radios - What is what?

cheap charlie

Hi All,

Bought my self a 4.5M Tinnie the other day.

Looking to venture to some of the inshore reefs when the sea is not to rough.

I was thinking that I need to have some form of radio comunication...

I know Diddly squat about radios...

What do I need? I hear about 27meg and UHF?

Can I get away with some sort of hand held radio?

I did not want to spend any more then I need to?

Your Thoughts on what Ishould be looking at?

Hi All,

Bought my self a 4.5M Tinnie the other day.

Looking to venture to some of the inshore reefs when the sea is not to rough.

I was thinking that I need to have some form of radio comunication...

I know Diddly squat about radios...

What do I need? I hear about 27meg and UHF?

Can I get away with some sort of hand held radio?

I did not want to spend any more then I need to?

Your Thoughts on what Ishould be looking at?

VHF are the way to go and they are only around the $250 mark new

I dont think the hand helds have a strong a signal strength as the other ones

I think that if you ever get yourself into trouble you will wish

that you would have spent the $250 I know I would the sea is very unforgiving

and can turn nasty very quickly so how much is your life worth..........up to you

Mate I used to use a handheld on my boat before I installed the fixed VHF and I got about 4 miles out with reception. I recently bought an ICOMM23 handheld VHF as a backup in case the boat is lost etc. Works pretty well and is waterproof and floats. If I were in your position I'd be getting a handheld (if not both) because if you do get swamped you won't have much time to send out a mayday (coming from personal experience unfortunately)

I agree with the hand held suggestion. I don't go out more than 2Nm so I don't have an epirb on the boat, but I am 99% of the time out solo and quite often out at night. I have VHF and 27Mhz on the boat, but at night or if it gets a bit iffy, I strap my phone (in a waterproof pouch) to myself. I also have a PLB that I strap to myself as well. I've also just bought a waterproof handheld. Can never have too much crap! Haha. I figure if I go overboard, there's no point them finding the boat if I've floated away in the opposite direction. I may look like a xmas tree with all this stuff strapped to me, but they are all really small and weigh next to nothing and at least they'll find me. Hopefully!

Edited by insomniac92

I agree with the hand held suggestion. I don't go out more than 2Nm so I don't have an epirb on the boat, but I am 99% of the time out solo and quite often out at night. I have VHF and 27Mhz on the boat, but at night or if it gets a bit iffy, I strap my phone (in a waterproof pouch) to myself. I also have a PLB that I strap to myself as well. I've also just bought a waterproof handheld. Can never have too much crap! Haha. I figure if I go overboard, there's no point them finding the boat if I've floated away in the opposite direction. I may look like a xmas tree with all this stuff strapped to me, but they are all really small and weigh next to nothing and at least they'll find me. Hopefully!

I agree. I always have my EPIRB strapped onto my arm when i am alone onboard. I want them to find ME before the boat.

Do you really need a radio for what you going to use for tinny for????? I would be pretty sure that your mobile phone will have coverage at 99% of all inshore reefs. Just put the local water police/maritime/goast gaurd number in your phone and save yourself a few hundred and by a new rod or reel.....

Do you really need a radio for what you going to use for tinny for????? I would be pretty sure that your mobile phone will have coverage at 99% of all inshore reefs. Just put the local water police/maritime/goast gaurd number in your phone and save yourself a few hundred and by a new rod or reel.....

I use to think this way...

I was looking at hand helds out of the states that are water prof and float for about $70 landed. That brand was cobra

I use to think this way...

I was looking at hand helds out of the states that are water prof and float for about $70 landed. That brand was cobra

So the question is, will a hand held VHF give you better recption than a mobile phone? answer... not even close.

I think you would need a high quailty hand held VHF like an Icom and it isnt really worth it. They are around they $500 mark i think.

Noted,

Hard wired it is.

Thanks

sorry mate, about 250 for an Icom M72, I bought 4 a while back for on board comms with my crew members with extra mic's and charges and it went to about $500 per radio.

Are hand helds from the usa likely to be comparable with Aussie radio networks?

Yes - provided they have international calling. I purchased an ICOM 504 VHF from the US for about a quarter of the Australian price and it was exactly the same as the Australian model.

Evets

Yes - provided they have international calling. I purchased an ICOM 504 VHF from the US for about a quarter of the Australian price and it was exactly the same as the Australian model.

Evets

You just have to change the settings in them, they have 3 setting US, Canada, International. Australia run's on the internation one. If you dont change it will still work on some channels but not all of them as they are slightly different frequencies.

Edited by Whaler 255