Blue Mountains fly fishing

cc118

Hi Raiders,

The rivers have finally opened up here in NSW and I just couldn’t resist wetting a line. Although I enjoy fishing Thompsons Creek Dam, I really do prefer fishing the rivers and spending the day stalking trout. When I checked the weather forecast on Friday night, there were predictions of 5-10mm of rain. Somehow I think they got that wrong, because while I was out it must have dumped 5-10 litres on top of me.

I was expecting my new rod to arrive for opening day. Thomas & Thomas are launching their new NS5 (No Sanctuary) rods later this year, and I was hoping to test drive it on our rivers. At just 2 oz, it is the lightest 5wt rod on the market. The rod is expected to arrive next week.

I got to the river just after 11am for a late start. The cox river near Rydal has changed dramatically since I last fished it a year ago. Late last year, Lake Lyell was at full capacity, and the streams and pools which I knew held fish have all changed.

post-13314-078448600 1317527012_thumb.jpg

The day was mostly spent researching the new terrain and working out where fish might lay. Moving upstream, I casted my nymph to likely bubble lines and structures. I sighted a fish rising in the shallows. I know I should have tied on a dry, but was just too lazy. In the end, the fish spooked and I continued my pursuit upstream. There are some deeper pools along this run which hold good fish, but you do need to approach these pools carefully, as fish do hang around the edges and are always alerted to your presence. I typically use an 8’6” 4wt on these waters as I have hooked some large fish. The browns will head for cover and you do need some power to turn them. My first cast into the deeper pools did produce a feisty little rainbow.

post-13314-007620200 1317526517_thumb.jpg

The day turned out to be slow, and I decided to move back down stream. As I started walking back, I heard the cry of a happy angler catching a fish. The father and son team were up from Sydney and have been catching a few fish on lures. The rainbow he had just caught was about 30cm. The next stream I came across was running fast but looked to have some dark objects at the bottom. Standing well back from the stream, I casted my nymph ahead of the dark objects and sure enough, the indicated went down and I came up tight with this nice rainbow. The photo is dark as my camera was playing up from being drenched.

post-13314-022418100 1317526656_thumb.jpg

I moved a few meters upstream and worked my nymph in a likely bubble line. I picked up another good rainbow about a pound. Unfortunately, my camera was soaking wet by this stage, and I didn’t want to cause any more damage to it.

I decided to head home soon after catching my third fish. The rain was really starting to come down hard and I had a reasonable hike back to the car. The trip certainly satisfied the withdrawal symptoms and the 4 month waiting for the rivers to open was rewarded.

I have also included a picture of this lovely 4.5 pound rainbow caught in TCD back in July.

post-13314-016155000 1317526945_thumb.jpg

Regards Caddis

Hi Chris,

Bet it feels good to be back on the rivers. The rivers have all moved around of bit with all the rain over the past 12 months. The spots we fish on the thredbo are now 4.5m under water and I just found out that my favourite little corner on the Eucy has been flooded by the rising dam. Its up to the Portal now. A mate said there are some good fish in the fish at Tarana too. Heading to Eucy next week after the crowds have left. I understand its been fairly crazy down there over the opening. Should be a good year and good to see you at least got a couple of fish. That TCD fish is so typical with those big yabby guts. Nice work.

Paul

On Strike.

Edited by On Strike

Hi Chris,

Bet it feels good to be back on the rivers. The rivers have all moved around of bit with all the rain over the past 12 months. The spots we fish on the thredbo are now 4.5m under water and I just found out that my favourite little corner on the Eucy has been flooded by the rising dam. Its up to the Portal now. A mate said there are some good fish in the fish at Tarana too. Heading to Eucy next week after the crowds have left. I understand its been fairly crazy down there over the opening. Should be a good year and good to see you at least got a couple of fish. That TCD fish is so typical with those big yabby guts. Nice work.

Paul

On Strike.

Hi On Strike,

With the Eucumbene close to 50%, a lot of the good spots should be flooded. I was down there before the close in June and it was only 35%. Directly in front of the Portal, there is a great little cut bank. I bet you'll pick up a few there.

Good luck.

Regards Caddis