Another Fishfinder question.

Alastair

Just looking for some input on this from the knowledgeable on the forum:

I have a $100 voucher from BCF. Looking at upgrading my very basic Eagle CUDA.

Prepared to throw in another 100 bucks, which leaves me a choice between:

Hummingbird PiranhaMax 160x

Lowrance X4 Pro

To my eyes, Lowrance seems better from product blurb.

Hesitant whether I can justify trade up to Lowrance 5X?

Fish mainly Hawkesbury/ Broken Bay/ Pittwater/ Nelson Bay, and inshore from a 4.1m runabout.

Any advice welcome.

regards

I love having colour on my fishfinder so how about you add another $150 on top of your $100 voucher and get yourself a garmin echo 300c? Wont have the issue of the suns glare affecting you seeing the fishfinder.

Plus you got dual beam and dual frequency which will be great for shallow and deep.

just one thing to keep in mind.. try to get as high a screen resolution as you can. some low resolution units look grainy and pixelated particularly the coloured models. i dont mind the mono ones as you usually get better resolution for your dough. i originally had a very basic humminbird mono souder and only wanted to spend no more than $3 - 400. ended up spending $1000 but the models availble in this price range are simply awesome and i dont regret spending that much. i ended up going for a coloured combo unit which i find the gps chartplooter very handy. we dont go deep water or reef fishing so it is more than adequate for our needs. in general all sounder/fish finders are pretty good these days and the main difference with units is usability and nick knacks added into the units. i do like the humminbird units and i think the 160 is not a bad unit for the price if that is what your budget allows. very simple to use and underated for mine.

good luck with the search.

cheers