Electric motor wire

squidboy

Hi there raiders,

I have a ripetidd electric bow mount with 55lb thrust. Just wanted to know what type of extension wire can I buy for extending the wire to the battery supply.

In the past I used a cable that was 8mm thick buy had very thin strands of wires within it. I am not too sure whether i need this type or thicker strands. Also was interested to know what amps or what other data I need to make a good selection on the right cable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Marco

Haven't got one of these, but just did a quick search and I'm going to send you two links (PM). The first one shows you how much the current draw is for the model you have (thats the amps it draws). Once you have that figure, go to the second link and there is a formula on there where you can put in how long your wire is etc and then you can work out what size wire you should be using. Hope it helps.

Depending on the length of the cable extension you require, the cable you will be after is called either "8 B&S"(smaller) or "6 B&S"(larger) cable. If you can find it, try to use marine cable which is tin annealed copper.

If it is permanently mounted, I would run this cable from the battery through a resettable circuit breaker or "maxi fuse" and up to an " Anderson " plug mounted to the boat (out of the weather). I would then put an "Anderson" plug on the electric motor end for ease of removal if you had to.

Generally automotive/marine cable have many thin strands of copper to aid flexibility.