Lugarno, Salmon !?

GOOS

Hi Raiders,

finished work yesterday feeling lethargic and worn out. i needed therapy!

Since all my gear was at work and i could only fish from 6 till 9pm. i had to make do with what ever i could dig out of my garage.

with one rod pre-rigged with a single hook and sinker. i searched the house for a smaller hook. found one of those tiny red ones, Perfect i thought.

to add to my luck i found a spare spool for my light rod loaded with light mono.

with the things i found, my plan was drawn. I pinched a piece of bread from the fridge and off i go to the nearest, easy to fish spot.

Once i arrived at Lugarno wharf. I found a very light twig i can use as a float. Everything seemed perfect considering the circumstances.

...2 hours later and not one mullet landed. :1badmood: also ran out of bread. :wacko: couldn't hook what ever was taking my bait.

i was about to head home early, but i noticed a squashed prawn on the floor. I squeezed out some of the still fresh flesh and put a bit on my hook. i trow in my hand line with twig float. i light up a ciggie and look for my float... i get annoyed becuase i can't see the "natural" colors of my twig.. then i realized it is underwater. too late... it comes back up before i could strike.

quickly turn around to see if that last piece of prawn is still on the floor. i find it and back in goes my rig. in no time the stick goes down a bit, then a bit more.. then STRIKE!! ON!! after the lightest struggle i pull up a tiny blackfish.

okayyy i thought. this could still work. (SORRY GREENIES) considering its been nearly 2 months since i've gone fishing. and i have ZERO bait left but just over a hour left before i must head home. the small black fish did go back in the water, alive... but as bait :devil:

wait . wait .. wait... recast. wait wait wait recast... wait wait Zzz.. a hear a tiny run. ZzzZZ... the rod tip is jumping around now so i take my chances and yank it!

not much of a fight and no head shakes.. not run.. but a bit of weight.. and then.. ZZzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.. my reel screams!!

the thing is turning so fast i thought it was about to catch fire!!! Thinking about my 20lb leader, i quickly check my drag to make sure i have the right tension and start moving towards the ramp so i can land this.

the Run didn't last very long.. just weight. still no head shakes. and another short but SPEEDY run. and another... then WAOH!! it jumps out and i think TAILOR?? .. another jump and soon the fight is over and i drag him in.

I must remind you that it is nearly 9pm. and dark as! i pull out the biggest aussie salmon i've ever seen. :banana:

post-11695-092016900 1317864967_thumb.jpg

Very very nice report there mate!

Fishing seems to be more fun when your running out of baits and gears and you gotta look for the left overs,

reminds me when i was a kid i would go to a wharf and look for fishing lines and hooks and i'll put the lines together to make it longer.

But salmon going for a blackfish? LOL never heard of.

Guest hawkesbass

Blackfish are one the best livebaits for jewfish but need to be carefull they still need to be legal length to be used as bait as for the salmon goes to show if it fits in there mouth a fish will eat it good size salmon for down lugarno way :thumbup:

Edited by hawkesbass

... need to be carefull they still need to be legal length to be used as bait ...

Thanks for the info, i'll make sure they are at least of legal size next time i use one as a livie. you got my word!

Guest hawkesbass

Thanks for the info, i'll make sure they are at least of legal size next time i use one as a livie. you got my word!

only put the info out there to stop someone being fined by fisheries

Great fish there mate... well done.

Did you try for another one after that or did you run out of squashed prawns?

thanks, lol. that was the only livie i had. do salmon travel in schools? what are they doing all the way up lugarno way?

Hey Goos.

Awesome catch.. I was so excited when I caught a 37cm bream there, so can only imagine what it was like to catch the Salmon!!!

Just wondering though - was this on the boardwalk/wharf? Just confused cos the pic is taken on grass so not sure if I fish from the same spot..

Eastwood,

yea i know what you mean! it feel like mc'gyuver fishing. adds to the fun me thinks. so much more rewarding when a bit of frustration pays off. Pity i NEVER catch anything when using $20 blades or $30 jigs...

Kirst,

photo was taken on the concrete ramp to the right. but fish was caught on the wharf/walkway.

Blop,

dood... stop thinking about my body parts LOL

Edited by GOOS

Ok sweet.. Thought it was just me! But yeah even small bream r still good. I've not been fishing long at all and don't keep them anyway so am stoked at catching anything.

Oh and think my partner n I spoke to u n ur mates at lugarno not that long ago. I showed him ur pic n he reckons he remembers seein u. I've got a terrible memory tho so wasn't sure.

Ok sweet.. Thought it was just me! But yeah even small bream r still good. I've not been fishing long at all and don't keep them anyway so am stoked at catching anything.

Oh and think my partner n I spoke to u n ur mates at lugarno not that long ago. I showed him ur pic n he reckons he remembers seein u. I've got a terrible memory tho so wasn't sure.

Depends I usually fish with my girlfriend, maybe that time was with my younger brother with the really long hair. I dunno mate.

Nah maybe not then.. It was 3 guys when we were there.

Hopefully I'll c u there some time tho - I really enjoy learning from ppl who actually know wot they're doing.

Have only been fishing since about the start of the year ... So still kinda wingin it at this stage lol