quiet day at narrabeen beach

bennoz

Hey all

Headed down to Narrabeen beach looking for some flattys and salmon. was down there with some mates and stared 2 hours before low tide.

Found a nice gutter and rigged up. 4 rods went out with different rigs and baits - Pillies (ganged and fillets), squid, sandworms. Berlied up. low tide came and went. tried a different gutter a bit further up the beach. Spent 4 hours out there without a single bite. I guess it was just one of those days.

least it was warm and sunny and the wind kept down.

Got home just in time to watch the wallabies win. Go Aussies !

Hey all

Headed down to Narrabeen beach looking for some flattys and salmon. was down there with some mates and stared 2 hours before low tide.

Found a nice gutter and rigged up. 4 rods went out with different rigs and baits - Pillies (ganged and fillets), squid, sandworms. Berlied up. low tide came and went. tried a different gutter a bit further up the beach. Spent 4 hours out there without a single bite. I guess it was just one of those days.

The fishing can quiten down if not almost shut right down on the beaches this time of year on the Nth side. I always find this month and next very tough off the beach. Once reports surface off big salmon schools working the headlands (boiling up), I've found a clear correlation with the deathly silence of salmon off the surf over the last few years. It's like they are totally concentrated on moving in big schools (headlands, harbour, estuaries) zoned in on a particular bait source away from the beaches.

Edited by spizza

cheers spizza

i love beach fishing and am usually always sucessful, but i must admit i havent been doing it long enough to notice a correlation between surface school salmon and beaches shutting down - ill keep it in mind.

i was hoping there would be some salmon around before the warm weather / water hits.

ahh well its almost kingy season ;)

Hey all

It seems it is due to the low air pressure has been currently.

Andy

cheers spizza

i love beach fishing and am usually always sucessful, but i must admit i havent been doing it long enough to notice a correlation between surface school salmon and beaches shutting down - ill keep it in mind.

i was hoping there would be some salmon around before the warm weather / water hits.

ahh well its almost kingy season ;)

Indeed, my last two sessions off the surf where the same as yours, not a single touch. I keep diaries of my trips and there's a definite pattern emerging. Prettty much shuts right down at times this time of year.

Ah, that's great to read! I thought I'd lost my beach mojo. I've been 4 beach trips in a row, and no fish.

I've used pillies, prawns, worms and fresh-caught squid (dead) and hit Dee Why, Curl Curl and Narrabeen in the centre and north end. I blamed the lack of success at Narrabeen on the fact that the council had closed off the lake as they repair the parking lot adjacent to the bottom of the lake. But then the other beaches weren't producing either.

Tired of the lack of success on the beach, this past weekend, I hit Pittwater with a friend. The wind was too strong to hit Barrenjoey in my little tinnie, so we stuck inside near Careel Bay. 2 tailor and a third one lost at the boat, all on pillies while our livies were ignored. Only one livie got a bite, and that was as we reeled in to leave. Of course, that delayed our departure as we had to try one last cast, but 2 tailors was to be our catch for the trip.

Ah, that's great to read! I thought I'd lost my beach mojo. I've been 4 beach trips in a row, and no fish.

I've used pillies, prawns, worms and fresh-caught squid (dead) and hit Dee Why, Curl Curl and Narrabeen in the centre and north end. I blamed the lack of success at Narrabeen on the fact that the council had closed off the lake as they repair the parking lot adjacent to the bottom of the lake. But then the other beaches weren't producing either.

Tired of the lack of success on the beach, this past weekend, I hit Pittwater with a friend. The wind was too strong to hit Barrenjoey in my little tinnie, so we stuck inside near Careel Bay. 2 tailor and a third one lost at the boat, all on pillies while our livies were ignored. Only one livie got a bite, and that was as we reeled in to leave. Of course, that delayed our departure as we had to try one last cast, but 2 tailors was to be our catch for the trip.

Here's my take on the situation:

1) the baitfish move on from the gutters this time of year, so do the fish that usually frequent the gutters

2) the salmon have eaten all the bait :)

3) the salmon have eaten all the bait and the other fish, so they move on :)

4) a variation of 2) & 3).

S.

Edited by spizza