life jackets

anthony f

Haven,t been on the site for ages but some-times you feel like saying some-thing. Well I am sure this topic may have been discussed before but today the new laws where pointed out to me by the maritime boat. Yes I am all for safety but most of the reasoning I got in reality was stupidity. These laws are good and bad and how long do the sensible have to pay for the stupid. Who makes the the laws and what do they base their outcomes on? Just another way to raise a bit of money as far as I am concerned.

Yep these are the new ones I was talking about, they apparently don,t really come into force in a finable way until Nov. 2011. this is when fines will start being dished out. One such piece of silliness I was talking about for example is. All people under 12 have to wear a jacket (fair enough) but over 12 no, if you are on the boat with some-one in between 12-18 they DON,T have to wear a jacket but you do as you are not in the company of another adult and classed as being alone, go figure that piece of brilliance out.

if you fall in without a lifejacket, the 12 year old kid with one on, can jump in and save you, and then you both can watch the empty boat drift away into the distance... :wacko: ... my view is everyone should wear a PFD, the inflatable ones are not bulky and uncumfortable like the older solid fill ones. have you/ anyone ever tried to swim instantly whilst fully clothed with shoes on and coughing your guts up? or with concussion from hitting the side on the way over? :bump0ee: or diving down in 300 mtrs to pull your mate off the bottom for a bit of resuss. Also have a thought for the emergency services who have to pluck bodies from the sea, not a pleasant job, and the grieveing families, and bad publicity. Notice you how don't get on the news by floating safley, till rescued, in a PFD, only when you have rigourmortice. Maybe if the PFD makers styled them to look cool and trendy they would be more popular, like sponsor fishing shirts, or cyclists and lycra. The tv fishing shows don't help, with the hosts often not wearing PFDs, when, whilst they don't have to, they could set an example. winge over :biggrin2:

Edited by piratesgold

Well said prates gold.

I don't really agree to all of the laws, but it's got merit.

I where mine all the time now and you mostly don't notice it's on.

A trendy style specific for fishing would be good but I haven't seen any yet. Not that I've looked that hard.

The problem as stated above is the 12 year old doesn't have to wear one, he's accompanied by an adult, but the adult does, because he's not with an adult. These hiccups will be ironed out in time, but for now, just comply and you never know, could save your life.

I was lazing back in the seat in my runabout on the Georges River near Tom Uglys Bridge yesterday and Maritime approached. I stood up and waved, they saw I had an inflatable PFD on, waved back and didn't bother annoying me further. They then headed over to a tinny with 2 blokes on board, who had to dig out their lifekjackets and show their boat licence. I fell 100% comfortable with the inflatable PFD on now and wear it all times. I have 4 Type 1 jackets under the bow but they are the economy versions and not very comfortable. My wife has bought a Type 2 that is quite stylish and she will wear it when she comes out in the boat on the upper Hawkesbury.

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

I was lazing back in the seat in my runabout on the Georges River near Tom Uglys Bridge yesterday and Maritime approached. I stood up and waved, they saw I had an inflatable PFD on, waved back and didn't bother annoying me further. They then headed over to a tinny with 2 blokes on board, who had to dig out their lifekjackets and show their boat licence. I fell 100% comfortable with the inflatable PFD on now and wear it all times. I have 4 Type 1 jackets under the bow but they are the economy versions and not very comfortable. My wife has bought a Type 2 that is quite stylish and she will wear it when she comes out in the boat on the upper Hawkesbury.

Baz

:thumbup:

Just one other thing that was pointed out to me. The stylish life jacket will have a service date on them, and if they don,t maritimes will take it what they should be serviced every 12 months other wise your in the wrong. The officer told me that he hadn,t seen one with a longer term than a year with some costing $100 to service and to look carefully at what I buy if I didn,t want a nasty bill each year

Just one other thing that was pointed out to me. The stylish life jacket will have a service date on them, and if they don,t maritimes will take it what they should be serviced every 12 months other wise your in the wrong. The officer told me that he hadn,t seen one with a longer term than a year with some costing $100 to service and to look carefully at what I buy if I didn,t want a nasty bill each year

My auto inflatable PFD can be self-tested. You just need to perform the checks yearly, date and sign the sheet and have it available for inspection. I keep mine in a plastic sleeve inside my waterproof safety grab bag.

Baz

My auto inflatable PFD can be self-tested. You just need to perform the checks yearly, date and sign the sheet and have it available for inspection. I keep mine in a plastic sleeve inside my waterproof safety grab bag.

Baz

Sounds good would you mind telling me the brand so I can look.

cheers Ant

Edited by TDH

I'm pretty sure that mine come with a 2 year service from date sold (have to check though not that long ago purchased), The shop laminated the receipt and said to carry it with you for that reason,

Purchased from one of the larger fishing shops.

As for $100 service it woulds be better/cheaper to buy new jackets every year then.

And yes, EVERBODY on my boat wear a life jacket at all times, saves me the worries, etc.

Sounds good would you mind telling me the brand so I can look.

cheers Ant

Sure, the brand is AXIS. Google "Axis PFD" and you will get their site where you can download the service check forms. I bought mine at a chandlers for under $100 I think.

Baz