Rod and Reel Combo for Kingfish

ben.marshman

Hi raiders,

Im new to the site, and was just wondering if i could get some pointers...

I want to catch Kingfish this Summer/Autumn and so I need a new set up. I want to spend around 300 bucks.

I will be fishing mostly landbased from wharfs using live baits such as yakkas.

I have always used Shimano spinning reels for estuary fishing, so would prefer to stick with them for a kingfish setup.

Can anyone recommend which reel I should go for and a rod to match. Also what line to get? Braid?

Thanks ... any tips are greatly appreciated as there is a huge range of rods and reels out there and its all pretty confusing!

If you want to include braid into your budget then i suggest you change it to $350. Maybe a Shimano B series Baitrunner 6500 matched to an 8-10kg rod. Braid wise maybe 50lb will do if you are landbased and livebaiting. Some of the kings this season will be BIG so if you arent comfortable with having 50lb then upgrade a little maybe to 65 if you can find it. The Baitrunner is a great reel. The D series is better but for your budget the reel i have recommended should be fine. Another option is the Spheros. They come in bigger sizes and around the same price mark. Good luck!

I'd pick the 6500 baitrunner B. Not too expensive. <$200

Perfect for large baits and live bait for kings and other species too,

If you plan to use lures for kings, then go spheros as a spinning reel.

As for line, I think you could get some powerpro braid, 40-50lb x 300yds would be sufficient. Would spool a 6000 size reel full.

If you want to include braid into your budget then i suggest you change it to $350. Maybe a Shimano B series Baitrunner 6500 matched to an 8-10kg rod. Braid wise maybe 50lb will do if you are landbased and livebaiting. Some of the kings this season will be BIG so if you arent comfortable with having 50lb then upgrade a little maybe to 65 if you can find it. The Baitrunner is a great reel. The D series is better but for your budget the reel i have recommended should be fine. Another option is the Spheros. They come in bigger sizes and around the same price mark. Good luck!

Just to add my 1cent, if you need to long cast larger livies or heavier baits/sinkers, make sure you get a decent length rod. this will get you the distance. and also with your 50-65lb braid as Mack said, spend a little bit more to get the 'better' quality brand (go for thinnest diameter possible, so less drag in current)

have a look at the Okuma X-factor rod.

Edited by GOOS

I recently just bought a landbased kingy combo for around sydney. I have the shimano baitrunner d 12000 (i can use this offshore as well for the bigger fish) with 30lb braid for the rats and an additional spool of 60lb braid for the bigger fish. I have a 10ft wilsons fishing rod.

Hey Mack attack just wondering why there are going to be big kIngs this season. Last season I managed a fair few rats but no real good kings and found it was the same with all my mates? Cheers

Hey mate, not 100% sure why they are going to be big exactly. Mainly heard it from others but my guess would be that it is something to do with the breeding cycle and all the smaller fish we had last season are now bigger fish.

I recently just bought a landbased kingy combo for around sydney. I have the shimano baitrunner d 12000 (i can use this offshore as well for the bigger fish) with 30lb braid for the rats and an additional spool of 60lb braid for the bigger fish. I have a 10ft wilsons fishing rod.

Could you please pm where from and how much u spent. Thanks